Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find find relatives of Walter Thorpe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 30 Jan 2014 03:25

Hi. I am trying relatives of my father in laws late brother Walter Francis Thorpe. My father in law is John Thorpe. Their mother was Margaret Ann Thorpe and their adopted father was Thomas Thorpe.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 30 Jan 2014 04:09

Could you post approx dates and area

Regards

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 30 Jan 2014 04:11

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5kVSdnHVuWIJ:www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/Biog1/Walter_Thorpe_1.htm+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

?

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 30 Jan 2014 04:26

Name: THORPE, Walter Francis
Registration district: Rochford
County: Essex
Year of registration: 1970
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Date of Birth:25 March 1925

no birth under this surname

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 30 Jan 2014 05:28

MarriageFinderâ„¢: Walter F Thorpe married Peggy Lillian XXXXXXXX
Name: THORPE, Walter F
Registration district: [Hendon
County: Middlesex
Year of registration: 1946

Their daughter BORN 1948 is a GR MEMBER

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Jan 2014 14:38

So were they born before Margaret married Thomas Thorpe and they took his name after the marriage ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Jan 2014 14:50

Is this Margaret ?

Name: Margaret Ann Thorpe
Birth Date: 5 Jan 1899
Date of Registration: Dec 1976
Age at Death: 77
Registration District: Sheffield
Inferred County: South Yorkshire
Volume: 3
Page: 2016

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2014 15:19

"their adopted father was Thomas Thorpe."

What does that mean?

Were your father in law and his brother adopted by Thomas Thorpe...................or was Thomas Thorpe someone who had himself been adopted?

Please clarify...............

And what 'relatives' are you looking for?

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 31 Jan 2014 02:03

Peter confirmed the picture & marriage is correct.

On Ancestry PUBLIC Family Tree

Walter Francis Thorpe
Birth: dd mm 1925
Death: date - city, Essex, England
Marriage: date - city, Middlesex

Peggy Lillian Lawrence
Birth: dd mm 1922 - London, England
Death: date - city, Essex, England

F: Sidney William Lawrence
M: Alice Mary Ethel Farrents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1888
FURRENTS Alice Mary E Banbury 3a 873

Marriages Sep 1917
Furrents Alice M E Lawrence Southwark 1d 151
Lawrence William S Furrents Southwark 1d 151

NO BIRTH FOR PEGGY THAT FITS THE MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME
using the Ancestry data

??

Births Jun 1922
Lawrence Peggy L Carlton W.Ham 4a 785

patchem

patchem Report 31 Jan 2014 07:30

Welcome to the boards, Peter.

Could you tell us when Margaret and Thomas married, and what exactly was the adoption that occurred?

Thank-you

patchem

patchem Report 31 Jan 2014 07:49

The daughter has William Frances Thorpe as born in 1924, London in her tree.

However, she could have Peggy's birth year wrong, so both could be estimations.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jan 2014 10:34

PM received

Thomas Thorpe adopted Margaret's sons when he married her - no clue offered about Margaret's surname before marriage.

Not that it is actually pertinent to this enquiry, which is for Walter's descendants

...........have advised poster that he should respond on the thread.................

paula

paula Report 11 Jul 2014 01:15

Hi My name is Paula. Walter Francis Thorpe was my Grandad, Peggy Lillian Thorpe was my Nan. I lived with them. I remember seeing John and Elvine (I think it was) when they visited for the last time before they emigrated to NZ. Their son and his wife came to visit us around 1978/79 and had a camper van. I recall it well. Spookily, this is the first time I have ever searched on line for this.
What is more.. I know that my Aunt and Uncles (Walter's daughter, son and son in law) have been trying to trace your side of the family during the last year and also to find out more about the adoption but had drawn blanks, so this is exciting!..

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jul 2014 19:13

HI Paula, and welcome to the boards.

Just in case Peter no longer looks for replies, try sending him a personal message by clicking on his name. Hopefully, if he is still able to reply and has the same registered email address he will receive notification from GR and reply to you.

paula

paula Report 11 Jul 2014 19:57

Thank you so much. I've never used anything like this before so that is most helpful. I shall try it now.

Peter

Peter Report 13 Jul 2014 04:51

Hi Paula. just saw your reply. Thank you so much for answering and yes this is exciting. My wife is Gillian, John and Elvine's daughter. You are right Gill's brother David and his wife Marilyn visited you on their big overseas trip 1978/79, cant remember the exact date ourselves. John is nearly 91 now and I have been trying to sort our his and Walters birth certificates and who their mother really was because he doesn't know and I was hoping to contact someone from your side of the family who may know more than we do. Looks like you are having trouble as well. We look forward to hearing from you and I will send you a pm with our email address

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jul 2014 07:27

Peter,

Someone on here may report your post because you have put your email address on it.

You need to edit your post and remove that address.

Just click on Paula's name and send her a pm (if she has not already contacted you through that route) - you can tell her your email address privately then.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jul 2014 09:38

As Peter has managed to return to remove his email address, I've deleted my editted C&P of his post