Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leslie Jeffery & Margaret Knight of Portsmouth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 17 Oct 2014 21:30

I am looking for any relatives of Leslie George Jeffery or Margaret Edith Knight who lived in Telephone Road Portsmouth in 1947. Leslie was in the Navy. They were both in their twenties at the time.

jax

jax Report 17 Oct 2014 22:17

Welcome to the boards Helen

Have you looked to see if anyone has them in their tree?

I take it they were not married to each other?

There is a Margaret born 1923 Portsmouth could that be her?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Oct 2014 22:41

Are you related to either of these people?

patchem

patchem Report 17 Oct 2014 23:21

Helen,

Do you know if either of these people are still alive, or have you not yet managed to find that out?

Thank-you.

Added:
This could be Leslie:
Births Jun 1919
Jeffery Leslie G Johnson Portsmouth 2b 638

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Leslie George Jeffery
Birth Date: 6 Mar 1919 Date of Registration: Apr 2001
Age at Death: 82 Registration district: South east Hampshire
Inferred County: Hampshire Register Number: H52
District and Subdistrict: 5013 Entry Number: 128

Death certificate would give name of informant (if this is the correct person)

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2014 17:06

I have found birth & death details for both, but it is Leslies life between 1947 & his death in 2001 that is the mystery.
His death was registered by his widow Ethel Anne Theresa, but we are unable to trace their marriage. If I had her maiden name I would be able to find if there were any children

Gritty

Gritty Report 23 Dec 2014 17:37

Is this Ethel's death? Who registered it

Name: Ethel Anne Jeffery
Birth Date: 23 Oct 1923
Date of Registration: Jan 2004
Age at Death: 80
Registration district: Portsmouth
Inferred County: Hampshire
Register Number: A70A
District and Subdistrict: 497/1A
Entry Number: 11

Was Leslie single up until 1947?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Dec 2014 17:45

???
Births Dec 1923
Webber Ethel A Fox Southampton 2c 94

Marriages Jun 1948
Webber Ethel A Ings Southampton 6b 1297

patchem

patchem Report 23 Dec 2014 22:07

Shirley,

I think there is an Ethel A Ings and husband showing on 192.com.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 Dec 2014 22:42

PM received from Helen saying that Leslie was her grandfather......but it's obvious that unfortunately he didn't marry her grandmother

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 Dec 2014 22:44

A serving member of the navy could have married anywhere in the world

His widow's death cert should have details of her maiden name, and place of birth

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 Dec 2014 22:50

Helen's mother..............allegedly Leslie's daughter, but not acknowledged by him when the birth was registered

Births Sep 1947 (>99%)

Knight Jeannette D M Knight Portsmouth 6b 844

OK to post as, sadly, she is deceased.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 24 Dec 2014 09:54

Further PM received, with info that the man married in 1941. Checking shows that marriage to have been in Plymouth.

The younger child of that marriage has had no contact with him since he and her mother split.

Helen's mother was adopted, but no indication given as to whether she ever obtained her adoption papers.

Helen

Do you have absolute proof that the death is the right man?

Please respond on here

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 24 Dec 2014 09:59

There are marriages for his name in years after 1947. To find out if any of them is your grandfather, you'd have to buy copy certs and compare paternal details with those of the 1941 cert

Equally, if he and his wife didn't divorce, he couldn't legally have re-married, and the 'widow' may not actually have been entitled to call herself that

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 24 Dec 2014 10:02

If you are certain that the 2001 death is relevant, you could visit the main library in Portsmouth, and do ER lookups for the address recorded on the cert

Helen

Helen Report 24 Dec 2014 19:31

Leslie is certainly the right man, his Navy number PMX58583 is on both Mum's birth certificate & that of her half sister.
Leslie was married in 1941 to Winifred Nellie Nason
Their son David was born in 1943
Their daughter Glenys was born in 1946
Leslie & Winifred divorced later in 1946
My mother was registered in both names as her parents were not married.
Her fathers name is on the birth certificate so he was present when she was registered.
Glenys believes she has a brother called Terry, but has no further details.
Leslie died in 2001, his widow registered the death. Her name is Ethel Anne Theresa. I would like to find a marriage for them in order to find out her maiden name to trace any possible children from the marriage.
Margaret Knight married Ray or Robert Cole in 1955 in Petersfield.
They had two girls, Julie & Diana both born in Portsmouth I possibly a son called David. I believe Diaina married Paul R Burnett in 1986 & Julie married Richard A cox, I have written to an address I have for them, but the one for Julie was out of date & I have not managed to make contact

jax

jax Report 24 Dec 2014 19:41

I cannot see any births that fit an Ethel Anne Theresa in England or Wales....maybe she was Irish? her death cert may have her maiden name on it ...if known

Helen

Helen Report 24 Dec 2014 20:14

Leslie was in the Navy, they could have met or been married anywhere

Helen

Helen Report 24 Dec 2014 20:50

Gritty, thank you, I believe that is the correct death entry. I will apply for the certificate

Helen

Helen Report 28 Mar 2015 22:17

Just to update on the thread, I have now found a sibling on Leslie's side - discovered from the death certificates of Leslie himself & his wife (married in Scotland, explaining why I was unable to find an entry in England).
Thank you for the suggestions, they paid off.

I am still stuck on Margaret, & have found no death entry for what I believe is her married name (Cole).
If she is still alive, she would be in her 90's.
I have found what I believe is an old address for her with her husband in the Locks Heath area of Hampshire.

Any help would be really appreciated.
:-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Mar 2015 02:10

Margaret's marriage was to a Robert J. What leads you to believe he is known as Ray?

Diane's family address and phone number can be found on BT.com

Rose