Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for my half sister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

April

April Report 26 Dec 2014 11:41

My husband: Norman John Hughes is searching for his half sister who would have been born in Kidderminster,Worcester abou1948t 1946/our mother's name nee Lucy Mary Bishop married name Hughes ,my mother still used this name long after the divorce.
April.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Dec 2014 11:47

Try looking for her birth on freebmd, as a starting point

That is IF you can access freebmd

I haven't been able to today, using two different search engines

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Dec 2014 11:52

Your husband and his sister?

England & Wales, Birth Index, 1916-2005 Birth, Baptism & Christening View Image
Name: Norman J Hughes
Mother: Bishop
Birth: Jun 1944 - Kidderminster, Worcestershire

England & Wales, Birth Index, 1916-2005 Birth, Baptism & Christening View Image
Name: Lorraine A Hughes
Mother: Bishop
Birth: Jun 1945 - Kidderminster, Worcestershire

These are from Ancestry, I can't access FreeBMD today either.

patchem

patchem Report 26 Dec 2014 15:00

Was your sister adopted?

Helps to know if we are looking for her in that name.

As she is in your tree on here, could you say where you have looked for her, or what happened to the family?

Thanks

April

April Report 6 Jan 2015 11:12

Hello patchem
I did try Father Hudson's just to see if any of the Hughes family may have been placed there,Both my husband Norman and Lorraine were put into care, but not with father Hudson's.
The eldest sister Lillian Janet was put into the Workhouse in Worcester and was later brought up by her grandparents the 3 children all lived just a few streets from each other it was only known when we met up with Lillian 55 years later in Australia
and yet again they lived close to each for 30 years it was only when I started searching in England that I found Lillian,it does help if you have a name.
Regards.
April.

Gritty

Gritty Report 6 Jan 2015 16:14

Sorry April, I may have misread, can you confirm if it's Lorraine A Hughes you are looking for?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jan 2015 10:50

I'm confused. Who or what is father Hudson's? Ok, just googled, it's a social care agency.

Parents' marriage:

Marriages Mar 1940 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bishop Lucy M Hughes Bromsgrove 6c 852
Hughes Charles Bishop Bromsgrove 6c 852

Can't find a birth of Lillian Hughes, mother's maiden name Bishop.

Lillian's birth?

Births Mar 1938 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bishop Lillian Bishop Surrey S.E. 2a 742

Gritty

Gritty Report 7 Jan 2015 11:02

Lillian J Hughes birth 1940 Bromsgrove mmn Bishop.

Margee is it Lorraine that April's looking for?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jan 2015 11:15

Now how did I miss that, Gritty? Probably mis-spelled Lillian.

Not sure who April is looking for.

Edit: I swear that birth of Lillian does not come up on FreeBMD!

April

April Report 7 Jan 2015 11:23

Hello Gritty,
Thank you for the interest
The problem we have is we don't have a name for this half sister that would have been born in 1946/1947/ or 1948 in Kidderminster, Worcester, I have tried searching for a Hughes baby.
My husband was brought up with his second sister Lorraine Ann and their mother Lucy Mary Hughes,his mother's divorce was finalised in 1949.
My husband was told by the step mother of his first Sister Lillian Janet that his mother had 3 daughters,I did search for a death for the years about when she was said to have been born.
The problem we have, is there is know one to ask.
Kindest regards.
April.

Gritty

Gritty Report 7 Jan 2015 11:40

Thanks April- I thought I'd probably read it wrong.