Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PURSLOVE Glossop area

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 25 Apr 2016 23:45

hello

I'm trying to help a friend to trace an old pen friend but the usual geneology route has drawn as blank. Her name was Nina Purslove born approx 1950.

I found a school pic of her at a school in Glossop (taken 1955) which is where she lived as a child. She later went on to be an au pair in Altrincham, Cheshire apx 1970.

I can not find a birth in that name and have tried a few other spellings, nor can I find any marriages. Can anyone offer any clues

Thanks
Cassie :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2016 00:06

Do you have an address she used to write to when she was living at home? If you were to trackdown the historical ER, you may be able to discover the names of her parents and follow them through.

Although there are a number of Purslove's, as you say, none as Nina or even births with N as the 2nd name

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Apr 2016 00:07

Hi Cassie.
I agree, finding a birth is pretty tricky.
Does your friend happen to have an address for Nina? Not suggesting you put it here, but if you have a Glossop address it might be possible to find out who else was living there.
This would have to be done in person though, records will not be online.
Jan

CasCas

CasCas Report 26 Apr 2016 00:27

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately my friend does not know her former address as she was her 'pen friend' through a school arrangement. She kept in touch with Nina until early 70s when Nina worked as an au pair in Altrincham then lost touch.

I found a link to the Glossop Heritage site and found photos of Nina at Dinting (Zion) Methodist School, Simmondley Lane in 1955 and 1960 but tyhasts all we know.

I've tried every combination of spellings and left out the first name (in case Nina was not her birth name,) but no luck. The school photos name her as Nina Purslove though.

Ah well I just hope she checks this site then and finds my message one day

Thanks peeps
Cassie

;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2016 00:36

As it was a Methodist School, would the Circuit have kept records of its congregation?
http://www.glossopmethodistchurches.org.uk/zion/
Similarly, would the LEA still have pupil records and be able to give your friend the names of her parents?

CasCas

CasCas Report 26 Apr 2016 00:41

Thanks Detective - certainly worth a try.

Thanks for that.
Regards
Cassie :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Apr 2016 06:34

Is it possible she is Nina Pursglove ??

There is an address for that name aged 65 plus in Staffordshire on the electoral rolls in 2002

Edit wrong lady ,this one was born in 1925

CasCas

CasCas Report 26 Apr 2016 13:39

Thanks Shirley. I found that one too. Shes a company director b1925. Ive tried all sorts of connotations of the spelling.

I wonder if she may have been adopted as there was a Maria Anna Purslove b1950 in the right area but who died at birth. Could Nina have then been adopted? Maybe we'll never know.

Back the drawing board

Thankyou anyway
Cassie

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Apr 2016 19:20

Just realised Nina's picture is online! There are a few names on these photos, I wonder if by any remote chance you could track some of them down?
http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/schools/zion.htm
Jan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 26 Apr 2016 20:07

I wonder if she was adopted?

There is a Purslove/Stevens birth in Glossop in 1950 but the child died. Probably corresponds to this marriage that has been mistranscribed as Parslove:

Marriages Jun 1940 (>99%)
Stevens May Parslore Derby 7b 1935
Parslove May Stevens Derby 7b 1935
Parslove Richard A Stevens Derby 7b 1935
Stevens May Parslore Derby 7b 1935.

I don't see any other children for them.

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Apr 2016 22:34

I wonder if this is the May Stevens above? Death is out of area obviously:

Births Jun 1918
Stevens May Lakin Derby 7b 944

Name: May Purslove
Birth Date: 13 May 1918
Date of Registration: May 2006
Age at Death: 88
Registration district: Dorset
Inferred County: Dorset
Volume: -1
Page: -1
Register Number: B2F
District and Subdistrict: 429/1B
Entry Number: 058

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 26 Apr 2016 22:36

Think so. Richard died in the same area. Both appeared to have been only children unfortunately.

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Apr 2016 22:36

I think it's certainly the above couple, tho hard to say if connected to Nina:

Name: Richard Alfred Purslove
Birth Date: 25 Mar 1915
Date of Registration: Sep 1969
Age at Death: 54
Registration district: Poole
Inferred County: Dorset
Volume: 7c
Page: 62

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2016 00:44

Contact the Glossop Heritage Trust. The Lynda in the photos with Nina is a director. I assume she put the names to the faces. She also on this site here:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/messages/81256/discover?rk=1038878

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Apr 2016 03:34

I thought the adoption possibility a good bet as well.

Another thought, since she was working as an au pair around 1970, she may have travelled abroad since au pairs and nannies were much in demand in North America and Australia for example.

I think Rose's suggestion of contacting the person in the photos is a good one as she might have known the family.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Apr 2016 03:46

Considering adoption, and the possibility that the given name at birth was retained ... I looked for Nina births in Derbyshire 1949-1951 to unmarried parents and there was one birth registered in early 1950 in Derby (where the Purslove+Stevens marriage was) that fit that bill, and no subsequent marriage or death, or electoral roll entry in this century, for the name.

This probably would not be a great help if it were Nina but it is something to consider.

It could certainly be worth getting May Purslove's death certificate if you really want to find Nina since a family member may have been the informant and the death was recent enough that an address could be useful.

I believe this was the residence where May was living at the time of her last electoral roll entry

http://care-services.co.uk/eng/purbeck-lodge-wareham-bh20-4ha-care-services-1

(matches post code)

in case they have records of family and might agree to pass on your contact info

btw your search caught my eye because I have spent many an idle moment in the last few years trying to find a pen friend of mine who disappeared about the same time! she was a few months older than me, and when I was merrily going to school, she was getting married, which was the last I heard ... and having a baby very soon after ... and then another ... the records tell me, and then nothing. I did know her parents' info but they are deceased and I can't locate her sisters either! ... and I haven't yet decided to pay out for death certificates and such myself :-)