Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BRIAN HUGHES, 1943. Born in Wales...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 11:49

Hi, I'm looking for a Brian Hughes who was born around 1943 in South Wales, his last known location was Weston Super-Mare.

The only information we have is that he worked at Battersea power station briefly, was a carpenter by trade. I know a missings persons report was place around 1969-1970 in Weston.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Pam

Pam Report 21 May 2016 12:14

Try looking on freebmd.org.uk if you know his mother's maiden name.
His birth registration might give a middle initial if there was one which would help with a search.

Pam

Pam Report 21 May 2016 12:16

Have you tried Facebook ?

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 12:22

It's my mothers biological father, the only information we have is that. I know he had a daughter previously who was only a baby at the time. I've found one record on the electoral too... Not sure of what part of south wales he was born either.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 May 2016 13:17

Absolutely nothing else? No address in Weston, no names of friends or workmates?
You probably know this, but looking for births 1941-45 in Monmouthshire & surrounding counties yields 12 results.
I guess tracking all of them down isn't impossible, but you'd have to make contact to find the right one - very tricky indeed.
Without more to go on, I'm not sure what else you can do.

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 13:34

Absolutely nothing, all I know is the technical stories. I know a missing person report was filed 1969 or 1970 in Weston Supermare? I've found one result for living in Weston now...

It really is a long shot.

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 May 2016 15:21

Shay do you know where he lived when he had his first daughter, would he have been married to her mother at the time?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 May 2016 17:38

who filed the missing person report, do you know? Guessing might have been your grandmother, but just to be sure!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 May 2016 17:48

Well, we have to start somewhere, so I guess Weston is as good as anywhere! I can see 2 Brian Hughes living there at different times on 192.com. Both married in Bristol in 1971 &1997 (easy to find as fortunately their wives have fairly unusual names!).
Would you mind if I ask roughly when you think his daughter was born, and if you believe this was in Weston?

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 17:51

It wasn't my Grandmother that filed the report, it was another woman who was apparently had a child with Brian/ or was pregnant with a child of his.

My grandma was pregnant with my mother at the time in 1970... She was born in the May and my Grandma left at 8 months pregnant and moved back to Shropshire.

In regards to where he lived with his first daughter i'm assuming it is Weston. This would then link to the missing person report! I know Brian came up to Shropshire before my mum was born but went back to Weston and never to be seen again...

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 17:55

The child previous to my mum was around 9/10 months old according to my Grandma so I'm guessing 1968/1969!

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 18:15

Okay so speaking with my Mother the missing person report was filed say June 1969 ish? By the woman who had the child previously.

My Grandmother met this child before she as pregnant with my mother and at the time the child was 9-10 months old... This would of been in 1969 as when she fell pregnant with my Mum apparently they were in London (taking 9 months off my mums birth date we will go with August!

So if there was a way to find this missing person and who it was filed by we then have the mother of my mums sister!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 May 2016 18:32

This is clutching at straws, but I wonder if there was anything in the local paper? I have no idea how these things are done!

I assume you have had a look on Freebmd?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Problem is, we have no way of knowing if the child took the name of Hughes.
There is only one female Hughes birth in Weston in 1969 (look for A. Hughes).

There is someone of this name, correct age, living in Weston.

The only way to ascertain if related would be to get the birth cert, and it's such a long shot, I'm not sure if I would do this! (Or to contact her, but that's a truly daunting idea isn't it, either way).

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 18:42

I've found the A Hughes, I think I've found her on Facebook too. I've found a Samantha for the year before also. It really is clutching here! I think we may have to hire someone!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 May 2016 18:58

Or what about a newspaper ad or local radio? You would have to be very careful what you say obviously, but might be worth a try? You could just say something along the lines of 'looking for friends/relatives of Brian Hughes'. and perhaps put his occupation. If anyone knew him well, they would know that, but it doesn't reveal anything too personal.

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 19:53

I'm thinking to not search for the child as she may not of had Hughes as her last name but focus on the Brian. We've managed to find one Brian Hughes born in 1943 in Pontypool. However can't see if he was ever in Weston.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 May 2016 20:15

Well, I think there is one Brian Hughes living in Weston of the right age group (65+). He's the one who married M. in 1971 (this marriage is on Freebmd).
To be honest, if it were me, I would be inclined to buy the marriage cert in order to check the occupation before pursuing this, but that could mean wasting £9.25 of your hard-earned cash on something very speculative.
this is quite a challenge isn't it.

Shay

Shay Report 21 May 2016 21:10

I've also seen that one too! It is hard, i'm hoping my Grandma will remember something else on top of what we know! To be honest, it's been two days and we've found this much!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 May 2016 23:19

Well, here's hoping! :-)