Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Writers Group thread 2013

Page 0 + 1 of 22

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 May 2013 20:13

Writers thread 2013.
From the old thread it appears that there is some interest in restarting the Writers group that was previously formed a couple of years ago. The following people have expressed an interest so far. It would be great if there were more people, who like to scribble, who could join us.
Rambling Rose,
Jan, (Greenfingers)
Errolsheep
BC
Myself (anninglos)
Hopefully ChaoTic
Mau on the coast
We are all of us amateurs and write mainly for our own entertainment. Nothing is put on the open site for all to see. The way it works is, we each have everyone’s e mail address and when pieces are sent out they go to each member of the group by e mail.
Pieces can be poetry or prose, fact or fiction.
This is just an introduction but I would appreciate input from anyone interested. We need to have some sort of structure. E.g. pieces once a week, fortnight or month? Free reign or set? Criticism or not?
And we did have readers before, Emma was one of our readers and I am hoping she will join us again.
Over to you.
:-D :-D

ChAoTicintheNewYear

ChAoTicintheNewYear Report 31 May 2013 21:16

I would prefer either a fortnight or a month but will go with what the majority decide, although I assume we would be able to opt out if life makes demands on us that mean we don't have the time at that point.

Wrt 'free reign' or 'set' would it be possible to decide on a topic but be able to do free reign if you're not inspired by that topic?

I think what I'm suggesting is a certain amount of structure but with flexibility so that if someone can't find the time/doesn't get inspired by the suggested topic they can take time out/choose something that does inspire them.

I'm willing to go with what the majority decide.

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 May 2013 21:32

Hello both :-)

I'd prefer pieces perhaps once a fortnight? only thinking that whilst I write quickly it takes me longer to read other's pieces as I sometimes need to print them out to get the text size big enough for me to read easily, especially if it's a long piece and then give a critique ( if wanted of course).

I am happy to have criticism and suggestions, as I do want anything I write to be as good as I can make it :-)

I like set topics as long as there is a bit of leeway, because often the set topic sets me off on a slightly different route lol ( story of my life! :-) ) EDIT, good if there is a choice that suits poetry or prose.

I'm happy to go along with what suits everyone .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 May 2013 21:42

Agree with all that is said so far, fortnightly is probably best. (Well it will be if I ever get going again) I like a bit of guidance to get me going sometimes, such as words, situations etc But flexibility around that is fine.

Persephone

Persephone Report 1 Jun 2013 00:09

You have my e-mail Glossie Ann and I wouldn't mind reading a few to see what you literary people write..

Persie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jun 2013 09:14

Thank you Perse.

Dermot will also be joining us so I am pleased about that.

Hopefully Emma will pick up on this thread too, if not I will contact her later today.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jun 2013 09:16

Cat and Errol, could you PM me an e mail address to use please. Thanks.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 1 Jun 2013 09:16

Morning folks and AnnG, thank you so much for taking this on.. Agree so far with what has been suggested. Once a fortnight would be good and anyone with many other commiments can be given extra time? What do you think about a word limit? Not with poetry naturallly but I think it may tighten things up a bit?

With regard to a suggestions words, subject each fortnight, I am happy to go along with this unless, of course, I awake in the night and have an amazing idea of my own!

Welcome to all Newcomers <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jun 2013 10:10

BC I love your amazing ideas so you just go with them when you have them. and the occasional word limit is a good exercise.

As soon as I have the e mails I will send out an updated list.

Now..... I am away for 2 weeks (*sigh again I know!!!) on 13 June. I propose to put two subjects on here for fortnight one and fortnight two as I don't think I have internet access the two weeks we are away. Is that OK for everyone? (Is Mau away? She hasn't picked up on this thread and neither has Jan or Erroll come to that).

Are you happy to have the subjects given on this thread in future or do you want it completely off board?

subjects going up after I have tackeled the garden. :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 1 Jun 2013 10:42

Hi Ann,

I was waiting for you to put up this thread before I got
in touch. I'm in again and happy for all writers to have
my e-mail addy. I would also prefer to receive every
fortnight as feel it would give me more time to read stories
and poetry and give thought to work sent to me.
Welcome all newcomers :-D

Emma :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jun 2013 11:32

Thanks Emma and welcome back.

ChAoTicintheNewYear

ChAoTicintheNewYear Report 1 Jun 2013 11:37

I'm happy to have subjects given on this thread.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Jun 2013 11:37

Will do, AnninGlos.

I am quite happy to go with the flow as far as format etc is concerned.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jun 2013 11:55

Just need an input from Mau and Jan now, I have PMd them so will go back and do a bit of gardening if I can find OH in the jungle!!! 4 weeks away = a lot of grass! And would you believe an inconsiderate collard dove has buil (well I think she threw it together) a nest and is sitting balanced precariously on an outer branch of our apple tree which is right at the top of the lawn. It doesn't seem to bother her that we are gardening underneath her either. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jun 2013 12:38

Errol has requested to see a couple of pieces written before. I will assume that nobody has any objection to that? I should have copies so I will sort it if that is ok?

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Jun 2013 12:50

lol Ann if you are sending Errol one of mine, can you make sure it's a decent one :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jun 2013 12:51

Rose I have not seen a bad one yet. Sending your after Easter poem if that is ok?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Jun 2013 12:52

RamblingRose I am sure they are all decent - unless you are referring to the subject matter and content of course.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Jun 2013 13:04

I can't remember it Ann but that's fine .

Errol none of us has, as yet, written anything indecent lol but who knows!

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Jun 2013 13:06

Ann just had a look at my sent emails to WG, I think the 'After Easter' poem is Maggie's?