Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors from the Camberwell area of London

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 5 Feb 2009 22:34

George and Alice were married in 1940 and lived in Sears Street, Camberwell. They were both widows and Alice had previously been married to Harry Wright, who died in 1926. Her marriage had produced 3 children (Albert Painter born 1919, died?, Doris Ethel Painter born 1921 died? and Rose Painter born 1925, died 2001.

George and Alice had a son, George Turner born 1931 died 1996 (my father), but their relationship did not last and they allegedly separated. My dad never saw his dad again. Alice died in Camberwell in 1957 aged 68.

I never met any of my father's side of the family. Albert married and moved to Essex. Rose married and divorced (John Wornast)and worked for London Transport and later at the Home Office. She lived all her life in Peckham and died in 2001. Doris Ethel married Fred Harris and they moved to Walthamstow. They had a son Michael (he had special needs). All family members are deceased and as such I have no other information about how I can further my search.

Alice appears to have been born in the London area in 1888/89 and lived there all her life. George is an unknown quantity as I have no information except that contained on his marriage certificate to Alice which does not give a date of birth or area of birth. Camberwell County Council have no employment record of him. The housing authority have no information either as their property was privately rented.

I would be most grateful if anyone out there has information about the family, especially George and Alice, as I seem to be stuck for where to look next.

Thanx

Julie

Julie Report 5 Feb 2009 22:43

Paul

On their M/C does it not give George's age or his Dads details

Am a bit confused what was the dads name for the Painter children

Julie

Julie Report 5 Feb 2009 22:49

If this is Alberts birth it has MMN as Wright...so was she Alice Wright & she married a Harry Wright

Births Sep 1919 (>99%)
Painter Albert J Wright Camberwell 1d 1279

Heather

Heather Report 5 Feb 2009 22:50

Like Julie, Im also confused how a marriage to Harry Wright produced kids with the surname Painter?

Please give us ALL the details on the marriage cert - who was the father and his occupation,

Heather

Heather Report 5 Feb 2009 22:52

OK So Alice Wright married Harry Painter.

Marriages Jun 1919
Painter Harry Wright Camberwell 1d 1968

Then she married George Turner? When did they marry?

Julie

Julie Report 5 Feb 2009 22:53

Ok he was Harry Painter

Marriages Jun 1919 (>99%)
Painter Harry Wright Camberwell 1d 1968
Wright Alice Painter Camberwell 1d 1968

Julie

Julie Report 5 Feb 2009 22:55

So was George who married Alice a Turner, or did they not marry

Heather

Heather Report 5 Feb 2009 22:55

LOL, snap

The OP says he has George and Alice's marriage cert?

Could we have the details of Georges father and his occupation

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Feb 2009 22:57

Deaths Dec 1926

Painter Harry 42 ..Camberwell 1d 891

Julie

Julie Report 5 Feb 2009 22:59

Lol Heather

Im going to bed as im too confused lol

Heather

Heather Report 5 Feb 2009 23:00

I dont think we will get any more info on this one tonight

Nite nite.

Heather

Heather Report 9 Feb 2009 00:55

pm received:

Sorry but I don't seem to be able to access my Camberwell ancestors thread. Alice Wright was born I think in 1889 and married Harry Painter in June 1919 in Camberwell. She bore him three children then he died in 1926. After his death she met George Thomas Turner. They produced my father in 1931 but married in 1940. They separated shortly afterwards. Alice died in 1957. It appears that she lived in Camberwell most of her life and at Sears Street since the mid 1930's. I have no knowledge of George's history and I'm not sure who Alice's family were.

Paul

Paul Report 15 Feb 2009 19:29

Hello again - sorry I must have caused some confusion at my previous request.with the Camberwell relatives. I'll try and clarify some points.

Alice Wright (born 1889 I think) was the daughter of John Wright. She married Harry Painter in June 1919. They had a son, Albert J Painter, born Sept 1919, a daughter, Doris Ethel (born 1921) and a daughter, Rose (born 1925). Harry Painter died in Camberwell in 1926.

Alice then met George Thomas Turner (born 1894 I think) who was the son of Charles Thomas Turner. George was also a widow but no other details are known. They produced a son, George Turner (born April 1931 - my father), but they did not marry until March 1941. Coincidentally, Albert J Painter from Camberwell married someone with the surname Curle at the same period. I presume this was Alice's son getting married.

Alice and George separated I think sometime in the 1940's and he was never seen again. Alice died in 1957. All the children, George, Albert, Doris and Rose are all deceased now. Albert supposedly lived all his life in Essex and died in the 1980's but I have no details of this as I have searched all death records between 1980 and 2007 and have not found the death recorded except for a man somewhere in Somerset (I think).

As well as trying to find details of Albert and his family I have been trying to find details of Alice and George's family. On their marriage certificate Alice's father was a general labourer. George's father was an engineers fitter. If anyone has any other details of George Thomas Turner, eg whether he married again or whether he had children from his previous marriage etc I would be very grateful and it would help with building my tree.

Thank you for your continued assistance

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Oct 2009 15:14

Rather than scatter this to your new thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1184316

Name: George Turner
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Charles T
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: Rotherhithe, London, England

Civil parish: Rotherhithe
Registration district: St Olave Southwark

Charles T Turner 38
Mary Turner 34
William Turner 14
Louisa Turner 12
Annie Turner 10
George Turner 9
Charles Turner 5
Margaret Turner 3

There's your George with his father Charles, and his siblings. More may have been born after 1901 -- do you want to do the 1911 search or do you need help?

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

Checked it out - not much help. This is the only George Turner born 1890-1894 answering to born in Rotherhithe:

MILITARY TURNER GEORGE 1892 19 Portsmouth Hampshire

Paul

Paul Report 26 Oct 2009 19:28

New message to Janey

Thanx Janey. I can now start searching for more info about George's family. I hear that his father may have died in 1903. However, I also need help finding info about Alice Wright and her parents. Every time I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of people I reach a dead end. Alice died in 1957 aged about 68. Her father was John Wright (a general labourer). He is shown as deceased on Alice's marriage certificate to George Turner from 1941. Alice was aged 51 on the marriage certificate so was born sometime between 1889/1890. However, when I search through the census records from this period I struggle to find further details about her and John Wright is a very popular name. Without other details about him, such as his age etc, I've got stuck.

If you could assist further it would be helpful.

PS what was the military reference to George Turner 1892 19, Portsmouth Hampshire

From Paul

Paul

Paul Report 26 Oct 2009 19:29

To Cynthia - Thank you for your response. I'm not exactly computer savvy so everything I do is trial and error. I've received details now of George Turner so that's a great help. I'm looking for the parents of Alice Wright now. Can you offer any advice.

PS, as for the last request. After sending it I never looked at my computer for 3 days. That's the reason for the delay in responding.

Pauli

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 Oct 2009 19:39

So last things first --

"PS what was the military reference to George Turner 1892 19, Portsmouth Hampshire"

That is the 1911 census record for what I'm theorizing is your George. He was in the military, rather than in a "household". That's unfortunate since it means not finding him with any family members.

I'm going to have a load of work tossed at me any minute now, so it may take me a bit to get back to this, unless someone else can help out first.

Glad to see you found your way back here. Now you know that when posting a request on the boards, it's best to stick around for a half hour to see whether there are questions and so on!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 Oct 2009 19:47

Alice's age could have been slightly off on her marriage cert or death cert or in censuses - or all of them.

This Alice is the closest fit in 1901:

Name: Alice Wright
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Ellen
Where born: Lambeth, London, England

Civil parish: Camberwell

John Wright 50 - occupation cabinet maker
Ellen Wright 47
John Wright 24
Arthur Wright 19
Alice Wright 14
Albert Wright 12

Now, cabinet maker is indeed a bit of a far cry from general labourer. So we'll just put this here for info and reference.

jansmith

jansmith Report 26 Oct 2009 19:48

do you have an occupation for Alice's father John? on a marriage cert.

Paul

Paul Report 27 Oct 2009 10:27

Alice's father's occupation was "general Labourer" on her marriager certificate of 1941. It also said that he was deceased. No other information at this time.

As for ther military reference. My dad used to say that his father was in the army and spent some time in India before WW1. He then said that he dad may have been injured just before the Somme. However, my search of the Military records hasn't found evidence to support this.

Pauli