Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

lost uncle

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 17:19

Can anyone help please?

I'm looking for my mothers older brother Alexander. He was born in Stewartfield, Broxburn, Midlothian in Scotland on 18th July 1931. His parents were Frank and Charlotte Kane ( Howison, Howieson). In 1932 his mother dies in childbirth. His sister was adopted by an aunt on his fathers side.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Mar 2011 17:33

suggest you use Search Trees tab top of this page to see if there are any connections on this site

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 17:59

Thank you for your reply Ann !

I was so nervous asking for help that I didn't say please in my post, I'm so sorry it comes across so rude.

I checked the Search Trees tab just in case someone had Alexanders details but I had no luck. I only found out his name and date of birth a few days ago and it was a shock to my mother as she thought he was a twin who was given up at birth.

Any suggestions on where I can look next would be a great help, and again Ann thank you for your reply.

Ian

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Mar 2011 18:36

certainly not rude in anyway - of course not!!! I'm rubbish at finding living people and hopefully he is still living - however, there are many on here who are great at it, so just be patient and I have no doubt that someone will deliver the goods for you!!! every so often give this posting a "nudge" to keep it on the front page until something turns up

Ann X [fingers crossed for you]

Gee

Gee Report 27 Mar 2011 18:48

Have you tried 192.com

x

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 18:50

thanks Ann, I know this sounds stupid but how do I "nudge", I really am new at this.

Ian

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 18:57

Hi Ginny,

Yes I have tried 192, no luck !!!!!

As Frank's family take in the new born Janet Charlotte Kane, I wondered if Alexander could have gone with a member of his mother Charlotte's family however, I have no idea if Charlotte had any siblings so I don't know where to look next.

Ian

Gee

Gee Report 27 Mar 2011 19:10

There are a few interesting entries on 192

Did he have a middle name?

http://www.192.com/people/search/

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 19:18

Thanks Ginny

I will get back to you after i check. Though no middle name!

Ian

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 27 Mar 2011 19:19

Hi Ian

I have just downloaded the image for Frank and Charlotte's marriage - it gives details of both sets of parents which will help you to find siblings for each of Frank and Charlotte.

If you want the image send me your email address BY PM (click on my name above) - not on this thread - and I will send it to you.

Mary

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 27 Mar 2011 19:31

This is the marriage reference for Frank's parents - so you will be looking for children between 1891 and at least 1911 (Frank was born 1910)

3 1891 KANE ALEXANDER PARIS HELEN UPHALL /WEST LOTHIAN 672/00 0007

Then do the same for Charlotte's parents.

Mary

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 20:02

Hi Mary

I got the certificate, many thanks for that.

I see that Christina Miller, 17 Drummond Street in Edinburgh is listed as a witness. I wonder if she could be a sister or a best friend of Charlotte's.

Do you know if there is anyway I can research this address ?

Ian

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 20:12

Ginny

I had a look at 192 again.

Alexander will/ would be 80 years old this July, I don't think any of the listings match do you ? No middle name though !

thanks
Ian

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 27 Mar 2011 22:31

Hi Ian

Good, I'm glad you got that okay. I've just sent you Charlotte's birth reg.

It's quite possible that Christina is a married sister, but then again she could be a friend. :-)

I would be concentrating on finding all of Charlotte's siblings and try and see if you can find living descendants who might know about what happened to Alexander.

Mary

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 27 Mar 2011 22:41

This is Charlotte's parents and older siblings in 1901......same address as on Charlotte's birth reg.

Notice the one called Christian? I think if you looked at the original on SP I bet it will be Christina........especially as she is still at the same address (married name Miller) as on the census below! ;-))))

1901 Scotland Census about Christian Howieson
Name: Christian Howieson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
Relationship: Daur (Daughter)
Father's Name: John Howieson
Mother's Name: Janet Howieson
Where born: Edinburgh
Registration Number: 685/5
Registration district: Newington
Civil parish: Edinburgh Lady Glenorchy
County: Midlothian
Address: 17, Drummond St
ED: 18
Household schedule number: 96
Line: 6
Roll: CSSCT1901_386
Household Members:
Name Age
John Howieson 39
Janet Howieson 35
Janet Howieson 14
Marion Howieson 12
John Howieson 10
Christian Howieson 7
Effie Howieson 4
Robert 8 MO

Mary

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 23:06

Mary

What a find !!!!!!!

Again................. 17 Drummond Street !!!

I agree with your view that Christian is indeed Christina. You have supplied lots of possibilities of where Alexander could have gone. I need to start with Christina though and find out who she married..........was it someone called Miller ?

thanks again
Ian

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 27 Mar 2011 23:16

Hi Ian

Did you get the birth reg okay?

Yes Christina married a Mr Miller. No doubt the marriage took place in Edinburgh and you know it was before the 1930 marriage of Charlotte, so that helps to narrow it down a little. :-)

Good luck.

Mary

Ian

Ian Report 27 Mar 2011 23:35

Mary

Yes I got Charlotte's birth record. again many thanks for your help !

Do you know for sure that Christina married a Mr Miller...............I wonder if 17 Drummond Street remains her address ? Do you think they would change Alexander's name, he is over a year old when his mother dies so he would know his name don't you think.

What a great start to this search............thank you Mary, Ginny and Ann.

kind regards
Ian

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 28 Mar 2011 14:50

Hi Ian

Well I don't know for sure that Christina Howison married a Mr Miller - I'm just assuming so as her address is the family home address??

I can't find a Christina Howison/Miller marriage, so perhaps not then!!?

I can't see any reason why they should change his first name but you never know, they may have done.......especially if he was adopted out of the family. :-((

Mary

Jean

Jean Report 28 Mar 2011 14:57

Hello Ian, Ive emailed you. Good Luck.