Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Akers & King 1912-1913 Leamington

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 16:23

Hi, I am after any information on a Walter King who married my Great Grandmother Florence Akers in 1912 in Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, England.
I know his father's name was William, they were both listed as coachmen/chauffeur.
Walter King left to sail to Australia as far as I know in Feb/March 1913 before my Grandad was born. He never saw his son.
Florence went on to marry Sidney Chamberlain and her wedding certificate listed her as a widow so Walter would have died between 1913-1919.
A bit vague but would be great to find anything on Walter and what happened to him.
Thanks,
Lisa - Warwickshire, England

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 May 2016 16:38

I wonder if this might be the father? and Ernest Walter your Walter

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
4 Grove Place Leamington, Leamington, Warwickshire, England

Walter Augustus King Head Married Male Coachman Not Domestic 45 1866 Warwick Offchurch Transcription
Clara Ada King Wife Married Female - 45 1866 Warwick Leamington
Ernest Walter King Son Single Male Gardener Help 17 1894 Warwick Birmingham <<<<<<<<
Ethel Ada King Daughter - Female - 14 1897 Warwick Birmingham Edward Croydon Boarder Married Male Private Means 69 1842 Warwick Leamington

EDIT maybe not as Ernest Walter appears to have died in the UK

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 16:43

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I did have a look at these but couldn't find any more info about Ernest Walter going to Australia. I have the marriage certificate and it only lists his name as Walter King. But anything is possible :-)
It did state his address when he married as 2 Euston Place in Leamington in 1912.
Thank you Rambling Rose, anything helps!

malyon

malyon Report 15 May 2016 16:46

ernest walter king died in England

Ernest Walter King
England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

birth:

17 March 1894

death:

Warwick, Warwickshire, England

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 May 2016 16:52

There's a Walter King born 1892

Could be this one

Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription View image
First name(s) WALTER
Last name KING
Title MR
Gender Male
Age 21
Birth year 1892
Occupation NAVAL RATING
Departure year 1913
Departure day 31
Departure month 1
Departure port PLYMOUTH
Destination port SYDNEY
Destination SYDNEY
State New South Wales
Country AUSTRALIA
Destination country AUSTRALIA
Ship name THEMISTOCLES
Ship official number 129349
Ship master's first name A
Ship master's last name DOUGLAS
Shipping line ABERDEEN
City PLYMOUTH
Ship destination port AUSTRALIA
Ship destination country AUSTRALIA
Ship square feet 12484
Ship registered tonnage 7046
Number of passengers 91
Record set Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960
Category Travel & migration
Subcategory Passenger lists
Collections from Australasia, Great Britain, Ireland, United States
Transcriptions © brightsolid online publishing ltd

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 16:53

Thanks both,not even sure where he was born in the UK, bit of a wild goose chase.

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 16:56

Wow thanks Rambling Rose, that looks very possible as my grandad was born beginning of February and so I heard he left before he was born so the dates would seem correct. Does anyone know the best contacts in Australia for finding more information on passengers arriving there? bit of a novice in researching at the moment.

malyon

malyon Report 15 May 2016 16:58

do you know when walter was born

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 17:00

Hi Malyon, about 1892 is what I was told.

malyon

malyon Report 15 May 2016 17:04

can find this one
Walter King
United States Border Crossings from Canada to United States, 1895-1956

birth:

Warwickshire,

immigration:

August 1914

other:

August 1914

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 May 2016 17:21

You say you have the Marriage Certificate, what were the names of the Witnesses?
Thanks

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 17:24

Hi Londonbelle, one was Isobel Stuart Akers, Florence's sister who died 1914. the other one I am not sure will have to have a look, don't think it was Walter's relation though.

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 May 2016 17:29

Lisa I'm guessing if he was a naval rating rather than a passenger, he is likely to have returned to the UK?

I don't have access to Ancestry so perhaps someone can check incoming crew and/or passengers for you.

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 17:33

I didn't think of that, I just assumed he stayed in Australia but yes he could have thank you.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 May 2016 17:39

I see that Florence married Sydney Chamberlain in 1919 using the surname King which would normally imply that her spouse had died. If she had divorced she would normally revert back to her maiden name.

Also, I see that Florence has acquired a middle name as she married as Florence E King.

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 17:45

Hi Londonbelle, her name was Florence Emily. Maybe she was widowed then instead of a divorce. Not sure if divorce records are obtainable for that time. Yes she did remarry Sydney in 1919.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 May 2016 17:59

How do you know that he went to Australia?

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 May 2016 18:08

My Grandad was told by his mother as they had no contact with him after that. that was the story that was passed down, we have no proof though so only what has been believed over the years. I was just searching and there was a Walter King died in 1918 in the war, his parents were Mary Jane & Willie (short for William) lived in Birmingham. and Willie was a coachman...possibiltiy as it may explain no divorce when Florence remarried and kept King as her name. Thanks all of you as it is giving me more ideas than I could think of on my own! :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 May 2016 18:37

This might be the Walter who died in the war?

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
66, Farm Road, Aston, Warwickshire, England
ship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Willie King Head Married Male 33 1868 Coachman Domestic Knowle, Warwickshire, England
Mary J King Wife Married Female 33 1868 - Cornwall, England
Walter L King Son - Male 7 1894 - Eastbourne, Sussex, England
Eva King Daughter - Female 5 1896 - Birmingham, Warwickshire, England Norman King Son - Male 1 1900 - Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Victor S King Son - Female 0 1901 - Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 May 2016 18:40

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
66 Farm Road Sparkbrook Birmingham, Aston, Warwickshire, England

Willie King Head Married Male Coachman 42 1869 Knowle Near Bham Transcription
Mary Jane King Wife Married Female - 41 1870 Cornwall England N K
Norman Garebaldi King - - Male School 11 1900 66 Farm Road Bham
Victor Stanley King - - Male School 10 1901 66 Farm Road Bham