Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ali

Ali Report 18 Jan 2015 16:08

Yesterday i found out my grandfather committed suicide in 1936, before i was born

John Smith DOB 1874 Bolton Lancashire, DIED JUNE 1936 BOLTON LANCS
he married Mary Rainford in1899 they had six children 3 died in infancy

is anyone able to see whats on the DEATH CERT for me as to how he died or will i have to send off for it
any help with this would be fab
thank you
alison

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jan 2015 16:13

Smith Family History Project of Lancashire, WR Yor ...

www.smithfamilies.org.uk/Contact/GuestbookJune2007-Sept2010

The Smith Family History Project of Lancashire, ... Guestbook June 2007 ... I know THE John Smith was supposed to have borne no children ?? ...

Ali

Ali Report 18 Jan 2015 16:46

Thanks Ann but this one defo had children & i've just looked through the link you sent me & i can't find any ref to him at all

Thanks Claire in Wales
yes looks like that's him

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 18 Jan 2015 16:48

Ali you may find out more by looking at the local newspapers which are often available at the local library (meaning Bolton)

Ali

Ali Report 18 Jan 2015 16:56

Thanks Claire, if only i lived in Bolton lol!

Dea

Dea Report 18 Jan 2015 16:57

Trying to find newspaper reports on him - Can anyone tell me if FMP is still down??

Dea Xxx

Dea

Dea Report 18 Jan 2015 17:07

Manchester Cityy Library has also 'kicked me out' !!!!!!!!!!!!

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Dea x

Ali

Ali Report 18 Jan 2015 17:10

Bless you, thank you Dea x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jan 2015 17:17

Hi Ali -that website is for ALL Smith's - not just the one in the heading

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Jan 2015 17:22

You would have to send for the death certificate, unlike Scotland they are not on line, but you may find a newspaper report as already suggested. You might be able to ring/email the local records office/local studies office who may (? for a fee) look up in the local papers for you.

Not had a problem with FMP today - and not seeing anything on their newspaper collection site which for Lancashire only appears to cover 1930/31/37/38

Dea

Dea Report 18 Jan 2015 17:26

Thank you Greyghost -I have not been able to get into FMP all day !!!!

Will try another link !

Dea xxx

Ali

Ali Report 18 Jan 2015 17:31

Thank you Greyghost

Thank you again Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 18 Jan 2015 17:37

I am back into FMP but the Manchester Library seems to have changed their rules and i cannot access it !!! :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Dea Xxx

Ali

Ali Report 18 Jan 2015 17:47

Thanks again for all your help with this Dea

Thank you all for trying, what would i ever do without you all

kind regards

alison x

Ali

Ali Report 26 Jan 2015 14:15

Hi Guys

I sent off for the DEATH CERT & i now have it back, it says

No.....264

When & where died......17th May 1936 The Bolton & Bury Canal, Darcy Lever Bolton UD

Name & Surname......... JOHN SMITH

Sex......Male

Age......62 years

Occupation........Of 19 Cromer Avenue, Tonge, Bolton UD, Self Actor? Action? Winder

Cause of Death.....Self Drowning Whilst temporarily of unsound mind

Signature, description & residence of informant.......Cert received from Harold Fairbrother, Coroner for Bolton, Inquest held 19th may 1936

When reg..........19th May 1936

We have been trying find news clip of this suicide, but can't seem to access

any more help whit this now i have the facts would be very much appreciated

kind regards

alison

Dea

Dea Report 26 Jan 2015 14:31

Self-acting Minder
Self Actor Minder

Watched and minded the 'Self Acting Mule' - the name of a multi thread spinning machine. The original Mule was hand operated and was invented by Samuel Crompton of Bolton in 1779. It was made self-acting by Richard Roberts in 1830.

Dea x

Ali

Ali Report 26 Jan 2015 14:55

Thanks Dea,
was wondering what that meant, we guessed it had something to do with with Cotton Factory's

greyghost

greyghost Report 26 Jan 2015 16:49

Not seeing anything on FMP within the newspaper section, but the only Lancashire paper covered appears to be Burnley.

Think you might have to contact local papers - at least with the dates now you can narrow down the look up required.

It seems an awfully short time between the death, registration and burial, the coroner must have got a move on!

Ali

Ali Report 26 Jan 2015 17:37

Thank you Greyghost for all your help

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jan 2015 04:18

try contacting the Local Archives and Study Centre in Bolton .............. Google for address

Ask if they have old newspapers on file, as microfiche or digitised

Give them the details from the death certificate ............ name, date died, where died, date of inquest, name of coroner

Ask if they could please check relevant newspapers to see if there are any articles from the day of his death to 2 weeks AFTER the inquest date.

There may be a charge

You may be lucky, and find a report in a little local paper