Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fatini Gogiades

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 24 Feb 2010 21:44

This is a really long shot but does anybody know any thing about a Fatini Gogiades.She died in 1969 at Dane End, Hertforshire. aged75. She also lived in Cardinals Walk, Hampton pre 1961.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Ann

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 24 Feb 2010 22:35

Is that her married name? If so, do you have maiden name? Doesn't sound English - any birth details or any other info?

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 24 Feb 2010 22:47

her death:

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005
about Fatini Gogaides
Name: Fatini Gogaides
Death Registration Month/Year: 1969
Age at death (estimated): 75
Registration district: Bishop Stortford
Inferred County: Hertfordshire
Volume: 4b
Page: 36

Do you have the death cert? Who was informant? What other info?

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 24 Feb 2010 23:02

Hi TheLadyInRed.
No married name.believe she did not marry.Her name is on my grandfathers headstone as being intered nearby!!.I think that was because she was possibly greek orthodox not c of e as was my grandad.I do know they were together in an old peoples home where they both died and they lived together in Hampton.!!
Ann

SharoninGreece

SharoninGreece Report 25 Feb 2010 08:46

Ann,

Name could have been mis transcribed, does not seem quite right to me.

Most probably was Georgiades. Also never seen Fatini as a first name either.

Sharon

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Feb 2010 10:24

I think Fatini might be an eastern name. This sounds vaguely Turkish or Greek - maybe from Cyprus but who knows!
Just being nosy but how did you come across this person?
Jan

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 10:41

Thanks to all for your help.
Brummiejan,
When I found where my grandad was buried I found his headstone and on it under my grandads name it says Fotini Gogiades.1895-1965 (intered nearby)
I spoke to the vicar and he said he thought it meant she was buried outside the churchyard as she was proberly not c of e but by the name was greek orthodox!!
I then went to the old peoples home where he died and they had a record of them as coming there together in1961.She was not my grandmother so presumed they were just good friends!!!!

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 10:45

Just to add to the mystery my grandad was in the army and my nan,grandad and my mum lived in malta until 1914 when my nan and mum came back to england but my grandad didnt.I dont know what happened to him after that.
Ann

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Feb 2010 10:45

Very good friends indeed I'd say - how lovely. If you are really interested you might want to get her death cert maybe?
Jan

SharoninGreece

SharoninGreece Report 25 Feb 2010 10:49

Fotini is a Greek name. It means Light.

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 10:54

Hi SharoninGreece,
Thank you. I was told it was proberly fatini not fotini but your answer is lovely.I will now look for a fotini as is on the headstone.,many thanks again.
Ann

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 10:57

Brummiejan,
yes I'm very interested.Death cert is my next step.Just wish I knew where they met and where she came from.
Ann

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Feb 2010 10:58

If you are local you could look at her previous address on electoral register to check spelling of both names. (Assuming she was eligible to vote of course!). Other occupants may give some clues too.
Jan

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 11:01

Thanks for the suggestion.not local but am going to records office in a couple of weeks time so will see what I can find there.
Ann

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 25 Feb 2010 11:01

Just reading this and I HAVE to make this suggestion folks,sorry

How about incoming passenger lists?
Maybe under Grandads name?
I dont see a Fotini whatsit on her own,but she may have travelled under Grandads name?

I will now butt out...

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 11:06

FannyByGaslight.
All suggestions appreciated.
problem with passenger lists is I have no idea when he came back to england.could have been any time between 1914 and 1960
Ann

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 11:08

grandads name was Archibald Arthur by the way.

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 13:04

FannyByGaslight.
Love the name by the way.It was my late dads nickname for me.!!
Ann

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 25 Feb 2010 13:41

I have had a good search for him coming in from anywhere.
Nothing that seems to be him ,alone or with Fotini.

He was the one born Hampshire 1881ish I take it?

Fanny Ann was my nickname as a child and then it went to FBG later in life ,so thats what decided me,even if it does have a rather bad association with ladies of the night,NO, I was not one,but I have known a few in my time.
But I like the name and dont care what people think...

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Feb 2010 14:48

Yes he was the one born in Hampshire in 1881.
Thanks for looking anyway.

Good for you.It dosnt matter what others think.My mum used to call me Fanny Annie to hurry me up if I was straggling along behind her.Good memories.