Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maud Elsegood in NY Times archive

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Aug 2016 16:49

Does any kind person have a sub to any site that allows them to view the New York Times archive? In the NY Times sometime in 1900 there is a reference to Maud Elsegood. As Maud died in Manhattan on 16 May 1900 I suspect it is an obituary or report of funeral but I would appreciate it if anyone can let me know what it says.

I know how good the helpers on here are but please do not waste your time researching Maud. I know the details of her birth (Camberwell 1875), family etc. And I know she joined the Salvation Army and went to America in 1898, dying there in 1900. I would just like to know what the New York Times article says to complete the picture.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Aug 2016 17:13

The mention is on Friday 18th May 1900. Just a list of names.

Deaths Reported 17th May - Manhattan and Bronx

Elsegood, Maud. 120 W. 14th Street. Age 25.

The image is quite blurred so the house number could be something different to 120 but that's what it looks like to me.

Kath. x

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Aug 2016 17:28

Thank you so much Kathleen. I thought it would be something like that but hoped for something more.

Thank you again for finding it for me.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Aug 2016 19:09

just in case :-D

Maud Elsegood

New York, New York City Municipal Deaths

Name Maud Elsegood
Event Type Death
Event Date 16 May 1900
Event Place Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Address 120 W. 14 St.
Residence Place New York City, New York, New York
Gender Female
Age 25
Marital Status Single
Race White
Occupation None
Birth Year (Estimated) 1875
Birthplace England
Burial Date 20 May 1900
Burial Place White Plains, N.Y.
Father's Birthplace Unknown
Mother's Birthplace Unknown

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Aug 2016 19:37

Thank you Ann. Like the advert says "every little helps" :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Aug 2016 21:24

The address is currently a Salvation Property. Perhaps it was back then?
http://www.hoursinfo.com/salvation-army/new-york/4845594/

Quite a lot of info about the services offered. There's also contact details if you want to ask if they have records about her death.

http://tinyurl.com/za9fj8s

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Aug 2016 22:08

Thank you Det. I think it was almost certainly a Salvation Army property back then as well because Maud travelled to New York in a contingent of Salvation Army officers, so was probably given accommodation in one of their properties. My brother is doing most of the research on this side of the family so I will pass the info on this thread over to him.