Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pedlow Family in Ireland & elsewhere

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gregory

Gregory Report 2 May 2019 17:09

Ever since I had to create a family tree for a college history project in 1970 I have been researching all branches of the Pedlow family throughout the world (only possible because the surname is rather rare). I have gathered large amounts of data in Ireland, the USA, Canada, England, Australia and New Zealand and have prepared charts/trees for the various branches of the family, summarizing what I have learned. Because the records in Ireland do not go back far enough (due to the destruction of the Public Record Office in 1922), I am also using Y-DNA tests to look for links between the various branches of Pedlows around the world and have found a close genetic relationship between my branch from Pennsylvania, another one from County Armagh, and yet another one in Canada. I actually think that many or possibly even most Pedlows around the world may share a common Pedlow ancestor if we go back far enough. I am quite happy to share information about Pedlows with other researchers, including a history of the surname that I have prepared. I made a similar appeal back in 2009 and got no responses but thought I would try again, because I do see lots of trees with Pedlows in them.

The surname Pedlow itself originated in France as "Pied de loup" (wolf's paw; it still exists in France as Piedeloup or Piedelou); the name came to the British Isles with the Norman Conquest or soon afterward. The oldest written reference to the name is found in an Anglo-Norman land grant from 1188 in Ireland witnessed by Richard and Roger Pedelow, and other medieval records mention Pedelows, de Pedelowes. and Pedelowes in Ireland and England. We disappear from the royal records in the late 14th century, but the name evidently continued on in England, and we reappeared in Ireland at the end of the 17th century in Counties Armagh and Down in Ireland, later also County Antrim, but much lower on the social scale (farmers, weavers and labourers). From the end of the 18th century onward we began spreading throughout the English-speaking world: USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

I hope some Pedlows (or others with Pedlow ancestors) run across this thread and get in touch. I look forward to sharing information.

Regards,
Greg Pedlow (originally from Pennsylvania, now retired and living in Germany)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 May 2019 18:11

Hi Greg

Welcome to the boards. If you look under "search" (top right of screen) and then click "search all member trees" and put in the surname "Pedlow" you will find quite a few people with that surname in their trees. You can then click on "find out more" and send them a direct message.

Hope this helps.

Kath. x