Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ellis shuttleworth cruelty case, Manchester 1937

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandra

sandra Report 23 May 2019 09:29

In 1937, Ellis Shuttleworth and his wife Doris, nee Smith, were each jailed by the Manchester court for four months for cruelty to their son Ellis, then age 2. Does anyone have access to newspaper reports about this? The only one I have found so far, strangely appeared in a Somerset newspaper of 30/7/1937!
Also, does anyone know where I might obtain an actual copy of the trial?
Ellis jnr. was brought up, though not adopted, by another family in Manchester (same surname as Doris, but no relation)
Suggestions as to where he may have been placed before he was taken to his new home?
Ellis emigrated to New Zealand in 1954, after adopting the surname of "Smith"
Sandra

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 May 2019 10:21

The Petty Session (Magistrates Court) Records seem to be held by Manchester Central library. You’d either need to pay them to access the records on your behalf or make an appointment to view for yourself.

Library: [email protected], Archives & special collections:

As for newspapers, their site quotes
“Another option is to try the digital archive of the Manchester Guardian newspaper via our online reference library to see if the case was reported. Free access is available for library members.”

Dea

Dea Report 23 May 2019 10:23

Hi Sandra,

It would be best if you could keep to your original thread which has very relevant information on there already please.

It is much easier if all the info is kept together so that we can all follow it much more easily and hopefully find more for you.

I have bumped up your other thread so that you may add this further request on there. If you feel you want to alter the title of the original thread - that is easily done on there.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1377789

Many thanks,

I will see if I can find any more...........

Dea x