Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wales to Deal in Kent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pearl

Pearl Report 12 Aug 2019 21:45

I know my Grandfathers Family moved from Wales to Deal in Kent sometime between 1911 and 1931, How do I find out when they moved as census end 1911.

Dea

Dea Report 12 Aug 2019 21:48

You could check where they were in 1939 index. - You could also check for any mentions in newspapers and you could check any WW1 records or births, deaths or marriages for them to see when and where they took place.

Do you want to give any details of the people you are looking for and what you hope to find out about them? - We could see if we can come up with anything for you.

Dea x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2019 23:08

Were they connected to the coal mining industry? If you know which colliery, you may be able to work out the most likely year from when it opened/expanded.

Were any children born to the family after Apr 1911? That would give you a before/after date.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Aug 2019 23:42

If there were children of school age and you know a likely area, old school log books might record when the children started at the schools in Deal.

Dea

Dea Report 13 Aug 2019 08:37

Your Grandfather appears to have had 2 more brothers born in Bedwellty Monmouthshire after the 1911 census - so the family were living there until at least 1916.

I haven't posted the family name details in case you don't want this to appear as you haven't given any details yourself so far.?

I have asked Pearl if I can post the full details........

Dea x

P.S. - There is mention of him in a Dover newspaper in January 1923 when he was with the R.A.S.C (Aldershot). - He was in Deal at that time.

Dea x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Aug 2019 15:17

If he was in Deal, then he was probably doing something at the Royal Marine Barracks.

Dea

Dea Report 13 Aug 2019 20:32

Haven't heard back from Pearl as yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 14 Aug 2019 18:56

The 'grandfather' in question was James Harris Dunford:

DUNFORD, JAMES HARRIS mmn PATRICK
GRO Reference: 1905 S Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 1

His parents (Pearl's great grandparents) :
Marriages Mar 1894
Dunford Frederick Bath 5c 921 Scan available - click to view
Patrick Elizabeth Harris Bath 5c 921 Scan available - click to view

1911 Census For England & Wales - surname is DUNFORD on image !!!!!!!!!
80 Commercial St Aberbargoed Mon, Bedwellty, Monmouthshire, Wales

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Frederick Demford Head Married Male 47 1864 Grocer Stoke Lane
Elizabeth Demford Wife Married Female 41 1870 - Somerset Bath
William Demford Son - Male 12 1899 - Abergwynfi
Harry Demford Son - Male 11 1900 - Abergwynfi Glam
James Demford Son - Male 5 1906 - Bristol *******************
Gladice Demford Daughter - Female 4 1907 - Bristol
Elizabeth Higgs Servant Single Female 16 1895 - Abergwynfi Glam

more children after 1911 census mean they did not move from Wales until at least 1916:

Births Sep 1911 (>99%)
DUNFORD Samuel T Patrick Bedwellty 11a 314 Scan available - click to view

Death:
Deaths Sep 1911 (>99%)
Dunford Samuel T 0 Bedwellty 11a 196

Births Sep 1916 (>99%)
Dunford David T Patrick Bedwellty 11a 294

According to a newspaper article he was fined for riding a bycicle without lights in Deal in 1923 so the family obviously moved there between 1916 and 1923.

Can anyone pin it down further?

Dea x

Pearl

Pearl Report 15 Aug 2019 22:22

Thank you all for your help