Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Theatrical family SORTED THANK YOU

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 24 Oct 2019 17:26

Hello

Could anyone tell me if there is a site that list actors and actress and what plays they were in.

I have a family that are known as Whitaker or Bretton or Lewis.

various census show them as actors/actress

found this on roots char from a couple of years ago

I came across a headstone for a "Margaret Whitaker, nee Lewis, born at Abergavenny 9th September 1856, died at Waterford 5th September 1927 whilst on tour with her husband in the musical comedy Balkan Princess." That was the inscription on the headstone in Johns Hill Cemetery, Waterford. I was curious about her as the inscription was unusual and found your thread. Hope you are still around and that it helps.

Margaret was Margaret Mary Ann Williams Lewis who married Edwin Whitaker they were both actors and several of their children were actors/actresses

I am especially interested in one of their daughters Norah May Whitaker stage name Bretton born 1895 in Manchester and died 1981 Goole Humberside

In Census 1901 Edwin & Margaret are known as BRETTON not Whitaker and are vistors to a family named Scott:

Note 1901 Census states Edwin was born in Wales, not Yorkshire.
But Cullingworth is in West Yorkshire.

Civil parish: Accrington ; Ecclesiatical parish: St James ; County/Island:Lancashire
Source information: RG13/3860
Registration district: Haslingden ; Sub-registration district: Accrington
ED, 31 / Folio: 18 / Page: 28

Head: Walter Scott age 35 (abt 1866) Snaith, Yorkshire, England; Occ: Hairdresser
Wife: Lavinia Scott age 38 (abt 1863) Rawcliffe, Yorkshire, England
Son: Cyril A B Scott age 3 (abt 1898) Accrington, Lancashire, England
Visitor: Edwin Bretton age 46 (abt 1855) born Cullingworth, Monmouthshire, Wales , Occ: Act Professional
Visitor: Maggie Bretton age 44 (abt 1857) born ??, Abergavenny; Occ: Actress Professional
Visitor: Nora Bretton age 5 (abt 1896) born Manchester, Lancashire, England

Any help with any of the above in the land of Theatre would be much appreciated.

Linda

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Oct 2019 17:47

Findmypast has 'The Stage' newspaper it is incredibly useful for theatrical info. but also look at all newspapers as appearances are often listed.

Carter

Carter Report 24 Oct 2019 18:04

Rambling I dont have access to FindMypast and just a basic subscription to Ancestry.

Thank you
Linda

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Oct 2019 19:29

Linda, hopefully someone will have a look for you, I'm afraid my current sub doesn't cover newspapers, as I made a mistake when renewing.

Carter

Carter Report 24 Oct 2019 19:45

Thank you Rambling

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Oct 2019 21:32

There is a site which has lots of playbills for Leeds theatres. If any of your actors appeared in Leeds theatres there may well be a playbill to view. The site is www.leodis.net

Carter

Carter Report 24 Oct 2019 21:42

thank you suffolk vera ill take a look
linda

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Oct 2019 23:48

Doc True

MARRIAGES
. Haxby-- -Bretton.-- On November 0, at St. Clement's CSiurch, York, Norah Bretton to Sid F. Haxby. P. a., 80, Clough Road, New land, Hull. Buccleuch-- Hewitt.-- On November 8, 19 20, at the West Parish Church, Gala shiels, Claude Scott B\iccleuch
11 November 1920 - The Stage - London, London, England .

Doc True

DEATHS
(Maaale Lewis). Died September 7, 1927. after a short Illness, at Watcrford. Never forgotten by her sorrowing daughter Norah. BrETTON.-- Mrs. K W. Bretton (Maggie Lewis). Died September 7, 1927, at Waterford, after short illness.-- Cissie Langley. M Liwis
15 September 1927 - The Stage - London, London, England

Doc True

TOM GAMBLE. Comedy of Quality, "An RlgM-on-the-Western Front." All Comi.: "Vaudeville." Paddock Ed., Dollla Hill, N.W.2. 'Phone: Willeaden 3170. JIMMY
loving memory of my dear Mother. Maggie Lewis, died September 5, 1927. at Waterford. Always in my thoughts, little Mother. Norah Bretton. Brkttoh (Maggie Lewis). In ever- loving memory of the dear little mother, who fell asleep Septem ber 5, 1927. Never forgotten
04 September 1930 - The Stage - London, London, England

Although not the full transcript enough can be gleened on FMP using a name search in Britishnewspapers,,,,,,, all seem to be play reviews about Norah Bretton in which she played a part.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Oct 2019 23:48

Linda .............

you could try looking for free on Newspapers on FMP, and then ask for help from on here if you do find some links.

or try Google ........... you can get some surprising results sometimes!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Oct 2019 23:52

This, for example, looks as though it could be interesting .........

A Biographical Dictionary of Actors, Actresses, Musicians, ...
https://books.google.ca › books
Philip H. Highfill, ?Kalman A. Burnim, ?Edward A. Langhans - 1975 - ?Biography & Autobiography

Extracts on Google, or ??library?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Oct 2019 00:22

Doc True

DEATHS
(late of 36, Hanover Square). Brrtton. On October 3, 1034. at Aire Lea," Minehead Avenue, Flixton, after a long illness, Edwin Whitaker Bret ton. in his 80th year. Sadly missed by Cissie, Norah, Florence, Minnie, and his I only son Haydn. BIRTHS, MARRIAGES
11 October 1934 - The Stage - London, London, England

Carter

Carter Report 25 Oct 2019 07:37

Kay and Sylvia thankyou so much for all this information .
It is very much appreciated
Linda

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Oct 2019 09:18

There are just a hand full about Edwin W Bretton in plays but Margaret is elusive,

They are just clips which are a bit jumbled because its by a free name search,,,,,,the full read articles need a payment,,

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Oct 2019 12:59

Info about the family here - though mainly Haydn:

https://tinyurl.com/y3tcfazu

Carter

Carter Report 26 Oct 2019 09:13

thank you all so much you have been so helpful.
i really do appreciate it
Linda