Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost Grandfather, sailor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara Helen

Barbara Helen Report 28 Oct 2019 13:42

Any advice on how to find information about our relative would be gratefully received. We have very little to go on, A birth certificate for his son states his name was Arthur Thompson and he was a sailor. His son was born in 1935 and he was told his Mother was supposed to marry his father but he had been sent to India and died, His father never saw him and his Grandparents brought him up as their own.
He was told his fathers ship was in Whitehaven Cumbria, but he had left before his birth to his unmarried Mum.
He knew nothing of his father until he was an adult, then he discovered his sister was actually his Mum and his father had died before ever seeing him, However, he carries his fathers surname Thompson . He was registered as a Thompson and christened Thompson. His mum was Harriet Bell.

Maddie

Maddie Report 28 Oct 2019 14:46

without knowing his birth year it is very difficuly
only one found so far

Arthur
Last name Thompson
Birth year 1897
Death date 07 Dec 1941
Death year 1941
Age 44
Burial date 08 Dec 1941
Place Sewree
Presidency Bombay
Archive
The British Library
Archive Reference N-3-166

chief steward on the city of melbourne

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Oct 2019 15:01

So if the son was born in 1935 and the father died before he was born it should be around 1935 then?

How old was his mum when he was born .maybe the father Arthur was around the same age

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Oct 2019 15:06

?

A E
Last name Thompson
Birth year -
Death year 1935
Death date Apr 1935
Place -
Country Great Britain
Reported date 1935
Type At Sea
Departure port -
War -
Source Deaths At Sea 1891 – 1972
Archive reference BT 334
Box 0091
Archive
The National Archives
Record set British Armed Forces And Overseas Deaths And Burials
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Oct 2019 15:15

Barbara doesn't say that Arthur died before his son was born - just that he never saw him.

So his ship sailed before the son was born, but Arthur probably died later.

Barbara, you say he was "sent" to India - does that perhaps mean he was in the Royal Navy rather than the Merchant Navy?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Oct 2019 20:54

As the parents of the child had not married would it be possible for the child's mother to give the father's name and occupation on the birth registration?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Oct 2019 21:23

Yes.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Oct 2019 21:24

Harriet could have said she was married - or not! No proof would have been required.

https://tinyurl.com/yy2pd2wa

"If only the mother has parental responsibilities and rights towards the child then only she has the right to choose the child’s names. She can call the child whatever she wishes. This means that in an opposite sex couple, the mother can give the child the father’s surname if she chooses even if they are not married. Choosing the father's name for the child is not the same as registering him as the father of the child."

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Oct 2019 06:20

It is strange that the child was given the surname Thompson and was brought up within a family with a different surname (BELL ? ) believing his mother was his sister.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2019 08:19

I read it that the father was sent to India and died and that was why he never met his son

alviegal

alviegal Report 31 Oct 2019 20:14

The death in India in 1941 found by Maddie was for a man from Wallasey in Cheshire. He died in Bombay and probate was in Llandudno to Jessie Jane Thompson, widow.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=thompson&yearOfDeath=1942&page=2#calendar

Barbara Helen

Barbara Helen Report 12 Nov 2019 14:58

Thank you everyone for looking at this for me. The fathers name appears on his birth certificate and "sailor". I wish I had more to go on, but so far I have been unable to glean anymore information.
Harriet chose to use his name, I wish I could find his story so that he took his place in our family history.