Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EDMUND HOOKER 1832 - 1927 'Grand Old Man'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 30 Oct 2019 18:10

Edmund Hooker is my Great Great Grandfather. We have tons of information about him, his wife, his children, their children, photographs, etc., and also his service record, burial, headstone, and more.

However, my mother says that when he died their was an obituary/article in the local paper about him entitled "The Grand Old Man of Kent". I think that we should allow a little leeway here on the actual details, but the gist of it is there.

He was born in Stopham, Sussex and died at his daughter's house in Cheriton, Kent. After his service in the Navy and then the Coastguards, he lived in Sandgate, Kent in a lovely old house with a wrought iron balcony - now a hotel and restaurant and we have stayed there!

I have searched as far as my skills will allow for any possible article about him in newspapers but without success.

Please can YOU find it for me?

Thank you.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Oct 2019 18:55

Nothing under Edmund Hooker

BUT I found this on FMP ........ wrong name and 10 years later!!!!!

A GRAND OLD MAN OF KENT. The death took place at Dover on December 10th, of Mr. John Files, in his 94th year. The deceased was native of Whitfield. He went to Waldershare School for a short time, but left at the age of years and' started work at Lenacre
17 December 1937 - Dover Express - Dover, Kent, Engla

Plus several other people called the same.

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 30 Oct 2019 22:23

I wonder whether EDWARD would throw up a hit??

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Oct 2019 23:15

It could be under Edmond, Edward or any other version of the name!!

I didn't have time to search for more this morning.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Oct 2019 00:35

I guess this is his death (although I know you have this) and I can't find an obituary:-

First name(s) EDMUND
Last name HOOKER
Gender Male
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1833
Age 94
Death quarter 3
Death year 1927
District Maidstone
County Kent
Volume 2A
Page 851
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

and his baptism:-

First name(s) Edmond
Last name Hooker
Gender Male
Birth year -
Birth place -
Baptism year 1833
Baptism date 06 Jan 1833
Residence Stopham, Sussex, England
Place Stopham
County Sussex
Country England
Father's first name(s) John
Father's last name Hooker
Mother's first name(s) Lucy
Mother's last name Hooker
Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

Kath. x

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 31 Oct 2019 11:04

Yes and yes. Thank you.

Have contacted Sandgate Library to see if they have anything in their archives.

Digits crossed.
:-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Oct 2019 15:31

Nicola

I live not too far from Sandgate and Cheriton......if you mean near Folkestone.
If it will be of help, I'm happy to browse locally.
The main holdings for the area are in the heritage room of Folkestone library, which I believe may still be closed at the moment for renovations.

Send a P.M if you would like me to look for anything specific anywhere and I'll do my best to help.

Man of Kent ....and ....Kentish Men ...are terms used for many people to denote which part of Kent they are from.

EDIT

If he died in Cheriton, why was his death registered in Maidstone ?
I would have expected it to be Elham district.

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 16 Dec 2019 21:35

Thank you Gwyn for your offers of help. This has taken another turn [don't they always!] and some super stuff has been unearthed including an article about his 80th birthday celebrations way back then. I haven't seen any of it yet and am waiting for the kind researcher to get back to me. I'll post again on here when all is revealed. :-)