Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deaths on GRO website

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 7 Nov 2019 21:21

The GRO website now has deaths 1984-2019 available.

There is still a gap 1957-1983, but covered by freebmd.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Andy

malyon

malyon Report 7 Nov 2019 21:46

thank you andy

Dea

Dea Report 8 Nov 2019 07:34

Thanks Andy - extremely useful info which I would not have noticed!

Dea x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Nov 2019 09:39

Very helpful, Andy. Thanks for the notification

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Nov 2019 09:54

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Nov 2019 10:41

Just ordered over the phone ( normally I'd do it online but there was a query on the format). Lovely lady, really helpful :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Nov 2019 13:39

The only trouble with the GRO website is, as also with the earlier years, and for births as well as deaths, you only get a maximum of 5 pages of results.

For instance, checking the surname Anderson, without a first name or place, for deaths in 2017, the five pages only take you up to the first name Mark.

Similarly, looking for births in 1885, surname Johnson, no first name or place, the five pages only show up to the first name Charles.

You really have to be able to narrow it down by either first name or place - and mostly you would - but not always.

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Nov 2019 19:06

The 1957-1983 gap is not quite covered by FreeBMD.
There are still 2 quarters that are not essentially complete, viz:

Deaths Mar 1975 (99%)
Deaths Sep 1980 (77%)

Also, addressing AG's example, although I can use the volume code to impart some geographical control, I can never remember the URL like:

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/south%20shields.html

but that doesn't take me past 1992.
[I normally look for the death of John with no last name in 1837 in S,Shields or Tynemouth, etc (hold down the CTRL key for a joint search) and then click on the hit's district name, then the more info "here" link.]
I see vol=24 gets me the rego county of Durham for 1837-1851, then vol=10a for 1852-1946.
The rego county of Durham includes some cross-Tees RD;s, so some bits of N Yorks, but doesn't include the pre-1845 detached bits of Co Durham sitting in Northumberland - the most substantial chunk is Berwick RD (excluding Berwick itself), extending down the coast to Belford, just N of Bamburgh = these chunks were put into the county of Northumberland (not just the rego county) on 20/10/1844.