Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Southwell, Nottinghamshire 1841. Tenter Building

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 18 Nov 2019 16:26

I have been searching for an Elizabeth Briggs born 1801 Nottinghamshire. I have found her in the 1841 census living in a tenter house on West Gate in Southwell. There are 15 people in the house, no one is listed as head and there are no occupations listed. I don't think it's linked to the work house as I looked at an old map and they are not near each other.
Does anyone know what a tenter house could be?

Thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Nov 2019 16:40

I expect you have tried googling?

My suggestion is that it was to do with the manufacture of cloth. Think of the expression ‘on tenterhooks’, which originated in that industry

Julia

Julia Report 18 Nov 2019 16:47

Yes I have!! can't find anything at all. I found someone who also said their ancestors had been living in a Tenter Building in Newark but it doesn't say what it is.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Nov 2019 16:48

Just updated my post

Julia

Julia Report 18 Nov 2019 16:48

Yes that could be an idea. I didn't realise that was where the expression came from.

Thanks

malyon

malyon Report 18 Nov 2019 17:11

looks like they are a family this one says a tenter building

England and Wales Census, 1841

Name:
Elizabeth Briggs
Event Type:
Census
Event Date:
Event Place:
Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, England, United Kingdom
Residence Note:
Tenter Buildings
Age (Original):
Birth Year (Estimated):
1797-1801
Birthplace:
Nottinghamshire
Registration District:
Newark Union
Parish:
Newark Upon Trent
County:
Nottinghamshire
Page Number:
Registration Number:
HO107
Piece/Folio:
868/25
Affiliate Record Type:
Household
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
William Briggs Male 35 Nottinghamshire
Elizabeth Briggs Female 40 Nottinghamshire
John Briggs Male 5 Nottinghamshire
Edwin Briggs Male 4 Nottinghamshire
William Briggs Male 1 Nottinghamshire

malyon

malyon Report 18 Nov 2019 17:20

is this you elizabeth

Elizabeth Briggs
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name:
Elizabeth Briggs
Christening Date:
06 Aug 1801
Christening Date (Original):
06 AUG 1801
Christening Place:
SAINT MARY,NOTTINGHAM,NOTTINGHAM,ENGLAND
Mother's Name:
Jane Briggs

malyon

malyon Report 18 Nov 2019 17:30

is briggs her birth or married name as there is 4 elizabeth briggs born in 1801 in nottingham on the 1841 electrol list

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2019 17:51

Tenter Buildings is just an address in Newark:

"The full extent of Newark's yards is masked by the fact that many other terms were used as suffixes to the name of the block. Thus as well as ‘ Wood's Yard ’ there was ‘ St Leonards Court ’ , ‘Jalland's Row’, ‘Tenter Buildings’, ‘Bowbridge Terrace’, ‘Mill Cottages’, ‘Elgin Place’, ‘Chain Lane’, and so on."

http://www.ournottinghamshire.org.uk/page_id__624_path__0p31p38p50p.aspx

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Nov 2019 17:52

This query relates to the building

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2019 17:56

See also the bottom of the first column on page 3 of this:

http://www.newarkcivictrust.org.uk/public/documents/trails/victoriantrail.pdf

"Turn around and look at the house and shop opposite, all that remains of Elgin Place built with an adjacent row of 17houses in 1877/8 by T G MacKenzie, a local builder, as an extension of the earlyC19 Tenter Buildings"

And here:

https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/People/Details/23084

"John Charles Judson was born in 1897 at Newark and was the son of Joseph a maltster and Emma Judson née Green of 26 Tenter Buildings Appleton Gate, Newark. "

https://tinyurl.com/u5ls5o5

He was born on Tuesday 12th March 1912, to John William Hall and Elizabeth (née Hopkinson) at 12 Tenter Buildings.
>>>>>>This house on Appleton Gate, Newark once was originally the largest Victorian back to back yard in town with 82 houses. <<<<<<

http://newarklocalhistory.org.uk/allen-william-henry-2/

"The Allen family originally lived at 39 Tenter Buildings (off Appletongate) in Newark, but by the time of the First World War they were at 5 Lindum Street."

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Nov 2019 18:21

Although occupations aren't listed on the 1841 transcriptions, if you look at the original you will find them there.
i.e.. the 1841 census posted by Malyon shows William Briggs as an Ag. Lab

(I don't see any mention of Tenter House for the Southwell Elizabeth, only Westgate)

If that is the Elizabeth you're looking at then she shows as a F.S. - female servant in the household of Esther Wylde, shown as IND. under the occupation column - of Independent Means

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2019 19:01

They are two different Elizabeth Briggs-es.

As GG says, there's no mention of a tenter house, or Tenter Buildings , in the Southwell record - only in the Newark one which Malyon posted - which is for a different person.

Also, you say nobody is listed as "head".
Heads of household, or any relationships at all, are never entered on any 1841 England/Wales census record.

Julia

Julia Report 18 Nov 2019 20:25

Thank you everybody. It's def the Southwell one, I must have cross read the tenter building with the Newark one. Thanks GG I had forgotten fs was female servant. I now realise she was a servant in what must have been a huge house in Southwell.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2019 20:40

Just for interest:

Francis Sherlock, the head of the household where Elizabeth worked, was a Knight of the Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order, per his Will:

Francis Sherlock Esquire
in the England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858
Name: Francis Sherlock Esquire
Probate Date: 30 May 1848
Residence: Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England

His life story here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charmainezoe/5559047273

So yes, an important household.

Julia

Julia Report 18 Nov 2019 21:23

Thanks again, I have also found that his wife had a stained glass window in Southwell minster dedicated to her when she died . I have tried to find pictures of the house as I guess it must have been quite impressive but as yet haven't managed it. Fascinating though!

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Nov 2019 22:01

So Esther Wylde looks to have been Francis Sherlock's Mother-in-law!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Nov 2019 01:21

The Sherlock family were still living in Westgate in 1871.
Still no house number, though.

Their household is listed as the third house on Westgate after listings for Market Place, which (per Google Maps) is a continuation of Westgate.
But don't know if that's helpful or not!

Nowadays, per Google Maps, Piano Italian restaurant is at 1 Westgate, after Market Place. But it's impossible to tell which building might have been the Sherlock home - if it's even still standing.

In 1901 a solicitor named John Kirkland is at what's probably the same house, with his family and a couple of servants - but still no house numbers.

And still no house numbers in 1911.

In 1939 the third house listed on Westgate, after Market Place is called West Lodge (5 Westgate).
Nowadays, West Lodge is 9 Westgate.
But don't know if that's the right house or not.

On Zoopla, numbers 9 and 10 have the highest estimated values for houses on Westgate - over £1million.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 Nov 2019 07:53

Google is full of Wylde family, Southwell, Nationl Archives also. Big landowners going back years. Genuki Southwell also has info., would also be Newspapers.

Chris :)