Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Pountney or Chambers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 7 Feb 2020 10:10

I am looking for information regarding the above person who was born David Chambers in Belfast on the 15th of Feb 1942 to Robert Chambers and Rosaline Brown. David changed his name to Pountney around 1950ish when his mother Rosaline remarried Leslie Pountney in Brighton in 1948 after his biological father Robert died in 1947. David joined the merchant navy in 1959 when he was 17, he left the merchant navy and married Christine Davies in 1965. They had 2 children Michael and Suzanne but parted around 1968/69. David rejoined the merchant navy and jumped ship in the USA. I am trying to find information on his life from the early 70s to his accidental death in 1992. I have info saying he married a Debra Rutledge in 1975 in Coos Oregon her maiden name was Vermillion, they divorced in 1977 in Humbolt California. I would like to fill in the missing info between 1975 and 1992, where he worked, were there any children with Debra, etc, etc? Best Regards, Graham Overton.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Feb 2020 10:27

I know you have this, but posting for our reference:

David Puntney
in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name: David Puntney
[David Pountney]
Race: White
Birth Date: 15 Feb 1942
Birth Place: Belfast Nort, United Kingdom
Death Date: 9 Feb 1992
Father: Harry L Chambers
Mother: Rosalie Brown
SSN: 541889085
Death Certificate Number: SSA 721
Type of Claim: Evidence other than birth record submitted; U.S. citizen or alien allowed to work.
Relationship of Signature: Not signed, SSA prepared.
Notes: 06 Feb 1976: Name listed as DAVID PUNTNEY; 10 Feb 1976: Name listed as DAVID POUNTNEY

The marriage and divorce records re Debra are also on Ancestry, but I won't post them in case she's still alive.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Feb 2020 15:02

You say in your post that David's father was Robert Chambers, but in the record that ArgyllGran posted it gives h is father's name as Harry L. Chambers.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Feb 2020 15:03

David's death record:-

First name(s) David
Last name Pountney
Sex Male
Birth date 02/15/1942
Birth place Unknown
Year 1992
Death date 02/09/1992
Death place Santa Clara
State California
Country United States
Father's last name -
Mother's last name -
Record set California, Death Record Index, 1940-1997
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from Americas, United States

Kath. x

Graham

Graham Report 7 Feb 2020 15:42

Thanks Kath and Argyllgran, the record is incorrect, I think because he was in the US illegally he mixed and matched with his personal information. Harry L Chambers was a combination of Leslie H Pountney and Robert Chambers. He was David Pountney not David Puntney. His mother was Rosaline not Rosalie Brown.
He died as the result of collision with a train in San Jose, Santa Clara County, the verdict was unsure about accident or suicide.
Graham.