Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EDWARD HENDERSON

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 30 Mar 2020 12:40

ive only just started researching my family.

however i am stuck on finding any birh record of my grandad.

i have no family to give me any more information.

all i know is he was called edward henderson born in scotland 26 july 1933 (i think)
i know he died 25th february 1988 in sussex and he is buried in HAWKLEY

many thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Mar 2020 12:50

Here's where to look for a birth

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records

You will need to register with the site, and then order a copy of his birth cert to find out the names of his parents.

At the moment, it isn't possible to get copy certs. You will have to monitor the site to find out when it becomes possible

His death shows birth date - as known by the informant

First name(s) EDWARD
Last name HENDERSON
Gender Male
Birth day 26
Birth month 6
Birth year 1933
Age -
Death quarter 1
Death year 1988
District Chichester
Register number 288
County Sussex

Who was his wife?

There are three births in Scotland in 1933 for the name - if you get a copy of his death cert, it should include his place of birth, which will enable you to identify the right birth

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Mar 2020 15:53

Re current unavailability of certificates on SP:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/about-us/service-status

Catherine

Catherine Report 30 Mar 2020 16:58

Spouse:-
margaret rose henderson
1942–2000

Children:-
Linda henderson
1964–2012
(Births Sep 1964 (>99%)
HENDERSON LINDA SCOTT PETERSFIELD 6B 759)

deborah henderson
1966–2019
(Births Sep 1966 (>99%)
HENDERSON DEBORAH SCOTT PETERSFIELD 6B 739)

+ 1 still living

Marriages Mar 1961 (>99%)
HENDERSON Edward SCOTT Petersfield 6b 869
SCOTT Margaret R HENDERSON Petersfield 6b 869

marriage certificate should give you his father's name and occupation which may help find further information.

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 30 Mar 2020 17:16

thank you for the replies i have the info on his children and wife. i just couldnt find information on his birth.
my mother always said he was a quiet man when it came to his family. thank you for pointing me in the right direction

mgnv

mgnv Report 30 Mar 2020 21:54

Drilling down from
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records
via
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides
to
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-register-births
we see a b.cert normally has
Date and place of parents’ marriage (except 1856-1860)

or to
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-register-marriages
we see that an m.cert normally has (for both bride and groom)
Name and surname of father
Rank or profession of father - if you find an unknown term check the glossary - occupations for further information
Name and maiden surname of mother

Older BMD certs (older than 100/75/50 y for B/M/D) are available as certified extracts from the appropriate register.
They are also available as uncertified images of the register pages at a subdtantial discount (close to 90% off).
Emgland also has discounted uncertified images of Bs & Ds at abt 50% off.
These uncertified images are not accepted for some quasi-legal uses - youcan't use them for getting as UK passport, e.g..
Today, both England and Scotland put the relevant image onto a preprinted page, check the image matches the original, and certify it's a true copy

Incidentally, it is possible to certify images beyond a reasonable doubt.
One of my co-authors was responsible for certifying red-light traffic-cam images in her home state - NSW in Oz.
A check-sum was incorporated into the image and shown on the log.
Several images will give the same check-sum. Suppose the defence were to claim the police enhanced a blurry licence plate into the accused plate number.
It will give the wrong check-sum. One could possibly alter random non-plate pixels to get one of the alternative instances of the check-sum, but that would usually take many years worth of computer time to find the right combo of pixels.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I don't know how widespread the practice of burying women under their maiden surname was.
My rellies were from the Buchan (NE Aberdeen & Banff) in the 19th cent. Here's 3 generations of Anderson's with my ggg gran Elizaneth's MI

burial ground: Turriff
Erected
by
Alexander Anderson
Hill of Ardmiddle in memory
of his son Alexander
who died 20th Oct'r 1874
aged 21 years
also his mother
Elizabeth Scott who died
31st July 1875 aged 80 years
also his wife
Margaret Watson who died
22nd Nov 1890 aged 71 years
The above Alexander Anderson
died 19th June 1908 aged 83 years

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Mar 2020 22:41

Here's the 3 births from Scotlandspeople to help you decide which to order when things get back to normal.

Surname Forename Gender Year Ref RD Name Image View
HENDERSON
EDWARD
M
561/ 5
Eaglesham

HENDERSON
EDWARD
M
644/6 1076
Springburn

HENDERSON
EDWARD
M
644/8 1769
St Rollox

In my opinion, you can eliminate the first one as the number after the district number shows the entry number in the register for that year. So in the first one, the entry number "5" would show that it is only the 5th birth recorded in the district of Eaglesham in 1933 so with a late December 1932 birth or early 1933 birth.

The other two may well be the same child as in Scotland, a child's birth would be registered in both the district of birth and the district covering the mother's usual residence. Looking at the entry numbers for both those births, either would be a possible June birth.

Do you have a father's name for Edward from his marriage certificate please?

Do you know if he had any siblings?