Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jane Wilson (nee Percival)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 25 May 2020 11:48

I'm trying to establish what happened to Jane after the 1871 census. She was born in Southwell, Notts in 1837 and married Reuben Wilson there in 1863. I have the couple on the 1871 census
Name: Jane Wilson
[Jane Percival]
Estimated birth year: 1837
Relation: Wife
Where born: Southwell Nottinghamshire England
Civil Parish: Southwell
County/Island: Nottinghamshire
Registration district: Southwell
Sub-registration district: Southwell
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Household schedule number: 102
Piece: 3532
Folio: 34
Page Number: 15
Household Members:
Name Age
Rhuben Wilson 27
Jane Wilson 34
William Sharp 6/12
John Jibson 3

I feel the entry for John is Jebson rather than Jibson.

I then have Reuben in 1881
Name: Reuben Wilson
Estimated birth year: abt 1841
Relationship to Head: Lodger
Where born: Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England
Civil Parish: Mansfield
County/Island: Nottinghamshire
Street address: Lodging House 1 Bridge Street Old Vicarage
Education:
Employment status:
View image
Registration district: Mansfield
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Neighbors:
Piece: 3318
Folio: 78
Page Number: 1
Also listed immediately below him is John Wilson aged 13 born Southwell.

In 1891 this appears to be Reuben
Name: Ruben Wilson
[Reuben Wilson]
Relationship: Head
Birth Year: 1842
Spouse: Kale Wilson
Child: Mary Ann Wilson
Birth Place: Southwell
[Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England]
Civil Parish: St Mary
Ecclesiastical parish: St John
Residence Place: St Mary, Nottinghamshire, England
Registration district: Nottingham
Sub registration district: Nottingham South East
ED, Institution or Vessel: 4
Neighbors:
Piece: 2701
Folio: 64
Household Members:
Name Age
Ruben Wilson 49
Kale Wilson 40
Mary Ann Wilson 1

As you can see the details for Reuben's wife do not tally with Jane, except that her birthplace of Southwell agrees.

I have tracked down Reuben in the Nottingham Asylum in 1901 and 1911, and his death in 1915.

I'm struggling to find census data for Jane after 1871 or to find a death regn that matches up agewise. I've not discounted the possibility that the wife listed in 1891 is Jane, simply not correctly recorded.

I can't see a 2nd marriage for Reuben.

I've traced GRO birth entries for William Sharp(e) and for a John Jebson in Southwell, both appear to be illegitimate births. It appears that Ruben and Jane may have been foster carers of a sort, Mary Ann in 1891 may be another example of this, simply recorded as Wilson rather than whatever her birth name was.

Can some fresh eyes spot any census entries, death regns, or anything else that I've missed?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 May 2020 12:14

Possibly the birth of Mary Ann:

WILSON, MARY ANN mms SMITH
GRO Reference: 1889 S Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 359

Julie

Julie Report 25 May 2020 12:36

ArgyllGran, forgot to mention I'd see that birth regn, but as I can't see a marriage for Reuben to a Kate Smith or some variant. If Mary Ann is a "foster" child her birth regn could be under a completely different name.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 May 2020 12:45

True, but equally the birth could have been registered as Wilson if Kate had taken Reuben's surname even though not married.

malyon

malyon Report 25 May 2020 14:14

could not be jane in 1891 census jane would be 54 years old kate is 40 yrs

Julie

Julie Report 25 May 2020 14:35

malyon, I've seen some grossly inaccurate details on other census records, including wrong names and ages. In those cases the census concerned had another one for the family 10 years later that in effect reverted to the "correct" information, thus demonstrating that the census data in between was mis-recorded. As a consequence I haven't fully discounted the possibility that it is Jane in 1891. That made me look for death details for Jane from 1871 onwards, not just 1871 to 1891.

malyon

malyon Report 25 May 2020 15:13

Deaths Jun 1882

Wilson Jane Shawcroft 43 Nottingham 7b 158

Julie

Julie Report 25 May 2020 15:36

malyon, the Shawcroft middle name doesn't fit with my Jane, there are no Shawcrofts in her ancestry, so I'm a bit dubious that this is her death.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 May 2020 15:55

Reuben is listed as widowed in both 1901 and 1911.

In 1881 he's listed as unmarried.

Of course, any or all of these could be inaccurate.

Julie

Julie Report 25 May 2020 16:23

My thoughts too ArgyllGran. The 1881 census being a lodging house makes it more likely that marital status might be wrongly recorded. At the Asylum, entries in 1901 & 1911 may also have been based on incomplete information. As a result I spread my window for a death for Jane up to and beyond 1911. I suspect that in 1881 the John listed with Reuben is the same John as appears on the 1871 census, the lodging house personnel may have assumed John's surname to be Wilson, or he may have adopted that name. This is perhaps a pointer to Jane being dead by then, which would explain why there is no census entry for her after 1871.