Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Murray b.1917 Rossadillisk, Cleggan, Galway

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 9 Jun 2020 10:55

Looking for any of my Grand Aunt's Family. Mary Murray was born in 1917 in Rossadillisk, Cleggan, Galway to John and Bridget Murray (nee Feeney). Mary immigrated to the UK and the last place we know she lived was Woolwich in London. We would love to make contact with any of Marys Family. One of Marys sister is still alive and well and has just celebrated her 100th birthday.

Thank you
Karen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Jun 2020 11:06

Did Mary marry?

WHEN was she in Woolwich?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Jun 2020 16:51

Welcome to the boards, Karen.

For exact DOB, in case it helps - though doesn't seem to, so far.:

SR District/Reg Area - Clifden
Birth of MARY MURRAY on 21 November 1917
Name MARY MURRAY
Date of Birth 21 November 1917 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Group Registration ID 1608087
SR District/Reg Area Clifden
Sex Female
Mother's Birth Surname FEENEY

Father: John Murray, farmer, Rosadilisk.
Mother: Bridget Murray, nee Feeney.
Informant: Margaret Feeney, grandmother.

Karen

Karen Report 8 Nov 2020 14:46

Yes it is believed she married .... we have the name McLoughlin from someone but really dont know if it is correct ... we think he might have been a policeman ... we think she lived in Woolwich in late 70s and 80s .... we are only getting little bits from older people who think they heard that?? Sorry I hadnt checked the forum in a while as I never got an email update to say activity on my post ... thank you all . Argylgran you are so correct with all that info ??

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Nov 2020 15:02

The only marriage I can find to roughly fit what you say - but you'd need to buy the cert to know if it's the correct one or not.

But Patricia ??

Marriages Mar 1957 (>99%)
McLOUGHLIN Patricia J Murray Hendon 5e 1336
MURRAY Mary McLOUGHLIN Hendon 5e 1336
MURRAY Teresa McLAUGHLIN Hendon 5e 1336

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Nov 2020 15:12

Just for info, Karen, you don't receive notifications of 'activity' on your post

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Nov 2020 15:23

Is she in anyone's GR tree?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Nov 2020 15:29

You say that one of Mary's sisters is alive - so presumably you know the names of all her siblings?

To try to track down "any of Marys Family" it would help if we knew their names.

Her parents' marriage:

SR District/Reg Area - Clifden
Marriage of JOHN MURRAY and BRIDGET SWEENEY [ Feeney on image ]
on 12 February 1917
Party 1 Name JOHN MURRAY
Party 2 Name BRIDGET SWEENEY
Date of Event 12 February 1917
Group Registration ID 1758534
SR District/Reg Area Clifden

12 Feb 1917
John Murray, full age, bachelor, landholder's son, Rossadilisk.
Father: Thomas Murray, fisherman.

Bridget Feeney, full age, spinster, fisherman's daughter, Rossadilisk
Father: Patrick Feeney, fisherman.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Nov 2020 15:33

Sibling: Bridget, born 5 Jan 1919 in Clifden RD

I don't see any other Murray/Feeney births in Clifden.

In fact no other births of children of John and Bridget show up anywhere, at least on irishgenealogy.ie.

Karen

Karen Report 9 Nov 2020 00:12

Oh Thank you ....No I dont receive notifications.... I dont know how to do that?? Could you tell me please?

Yes all that information regarding parents etc is correct. There were 7 Children,
Mary Murray 27/11/1917
Bridget Murray 05/01/1919
Annie Murray 01/03/1920
John Murray 25/06/1921
Patrick Murray 23/02/1923
Margaret Murray 28/05/1924
Michael Murray 01/10/1925

Its a very sad story really ... their father was lost at sea during a huge storm while out fishing in 1927 ( "cleggan disaster" as its known - information on Google) all the men in the village were fishermen and all lost their lives at sea during the unpredicted storm. The village was left with all widows and young children, including my great grandmother Bridget Feeney Murray.

All her children immigrated to the UK once they were in their teens to get work and try and support their mother and younger siblings. Only my grandmother Margaret (Peggy) remained in Ireland. Its a long story so to make it shorter basically, all the siblings lost touch bar 3 if them ( Margaret, Bridget & Annie) as they were constantly moving around with work and their mother past away and there was nobody left in cleggan.

In 2005 we reunited with Patrick and he spoke to his sister Annie ( in Australia now) on the phone for the first time in over 65 years. In 2016 I found John and Michael but unfortunately they had past but we have reunited with their children, our cousins.

I've tried everything to find Mary but I cannot locate her or her records anywhere. I would love to locate her family.

I do know 100% she was in Woolwich in the 70's and 80's but the name Mcloughlin is only a hearsay thing. During my own research I kept coming up with McDonald but dont know if it was barking up the wrong tree!!

Thank you so much .... I had stopped looking for a while but back again on a fresh start :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Nov 2020 08:34

Have you looked on freebmd for any possible marriage

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Nov 2020 08:41

Re notifications -
ErikaH means that GR doesn't send notifications - nobody can get them.

In theory you can:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/bookmarks
"All threads you are watching
This is where you can keep a copy of your watched threads. At the top of each thread you'll see the option to watch them. You can watch your own threads or any others that are of interest to you. Tick the 'watch' column to receive an email letting you know that there are replies on your watched threads. If want to watch a thread, but you don't want to know about any new posts on it then just untick the 'watch' box."

But that hasn't worked for ages.

(Unless anyone has had a different experience of it lately?)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Nov 2020 10:24

Not on the 1939 Register

Karen

Karen Report 9 Nov 2020 10:39

Thank you all so much for your help and ArgylGran a huge Thank You for all your knowledge and assistance - I am so grateful!!!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Nov 2020 11:29

You say you know she was in Woolwich in the 70's and 80's. What is your source?

You don't appear to have added any of the names to your GR tree - it would be a good idea to do so. If anyone is connected and interested, they may pick up on them, although as none of them appears in anyone's tree, it's unlikely

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Nov 2020 12:16

You say your research led you to the name McDonald.

Can you give us some details of that, please?

Also, re Woolwich -
on 8th Nov you said ". . . .we think she lived in Woolwich in late 70s and 80s .... we are only getting little bits from older people who think they heard that??"

Then on 9th Nov you said "I do know 100% she was in Woolwich in the 70's and 80's".
How certain are you?