Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Possible family member lost at sea.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 13 Jun 2020 14:59

I am in need of an expert, within our family tree we do have a William Garland (B) Abt 1870/1 in Christchurch, Newport, Monmouthshire. his father being a John Garland and mother a Emma Garland (Nee) Crew. My research has found the sinking of a vessel G.I Jones or G.J Jones in 1883, with 11 members of the crew lost.
Further research information found being, A William Garland, crew member, death, 01/Sept/1883 Event place United Kingdom, Event Place Merchant Marine, At Sea, Great Britan, Address Auckland Terrace, Maindee, Newport, Age 13 Occupation Boy Birth 1870.
Any advice on how I may find the father and mother of this William on any site would be very much appreciated.
Kind Regards.
Malcolm.

safc

safc Report 13 Jun 2020 15:04

Record Transcription:
1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census

50, Albert Avenue, Christchurch, Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales

Household Members
Members that resided in the household at the time of the census.
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John H Garland Head Married Male 30 1851 Sawyer Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales
Emma Garland Wife Married Female 34 1847 ((Scholar)) -
William Garland Son Single Male 11 1870 Scholar Christchurch, Hampshire, England
Zipporah Garland Daughter Single Female 8 1873 Scholar Bedwas, Monmouthshire, Wales
Thomas J Garland Son Single Male 5 1876 Scholar Bedwas, Monmouthshire, Wales
Henry Pulen Lodger Single Male 21 1860 Baker Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales

safc

safc Report 13 Jun 2020 15:07

Record Transcription:
1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census

Duckpool Road, Christchurch with Caerleon Ultra Pontem, Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales

Household Members
Members that resided in the household at the time of the census.
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John H Garland Head Married Male 40 1851 Carpenter Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales
Emma Garland Wife Married Female 43 1848 - Monmouthshire, Wales
Zipporah Garland Daughter Single Female 18 1873 Dress Maker Bedwas, Monmouthshire, Wales
Thomas Garland Son Single Male 15 1876 Shop Assistant Bedwas, Monmouthshire, Wales
Frank Huntly Boarder Single Male 22 1869 Carpenter Southwick, Wiltshire, England

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 13 Jun 2020 15:11

Hi Abby.
Thank you for your quick response, and yes this is the family that I would like to confirm that the William Garland lost at sea could have belong to, however not sure.
Regards.
Malcolm.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jun 2020 16:17

You'll never know for sure - but as John & Emma's son doesn't seem to appear anywhere after 1881, it could be a good guess.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 13 Jun 2020 16:22

It was the G.I Jones.
You could try the Museum of Cornish life--Tele; 01326 564027 or
News Paper Archives for The Cornishman paper, that is a pay for site, but it was reported by them in September 1883. but i don't have a sub so don't know what info it has

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Jun 2020 16:28

I've been reading the newspaper reports on the wreck. How sad and so traumatic for everyone concerned. I'm afraid all they mention is the young lad being 13, of Maindee/ Menday and of 'being sent to sea by his father because of being unruly.'

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jun 2020 17:07

If the parents are on 1911 census, it will say how many children they have had - and whether any of them have died

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jun 2020 17:27

Unfortunately Emma died in 1902, so that info is not on 1911:

Emma Garland
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915
Name: Emma Garland
Estimated birth year: abt 1845
Registration Year: 1902
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 57
Registration district: Newport
Inferred County: Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 138

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 13 Jun 2020 17:37

Sorry Abby, not sure how to reply, but will make an effort to find out, senior moment. But I would like to thank you all that did reply for your help and information, all of which as I have said has been very much appreciated.
all take care, and stay safe.
Malcolm.

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jun 2020 18:47

Maindee Newport Past and Present on facebook has Newport street directory for 1897
106,Auckland Terrace
John Garland a carpenter.

Auckland Street next but one to Duckpool Terrace

1891 John Garland at number 106 Duckpool Road and I think 106,Auckland Terrace are one in the same

I found it by Googling Auckland Terrace Newport.

Maryb

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Jun 2020 19:40

Well done Mary, that would be pretty definite proof for me. Here's the 1911 for John.

1911 Census For England & Wales

5 Lennard Street Newport Mon, Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales

John Henry Garland Head Married Male 61 1850 Carpenter And Joiner Newport Mon
Martha Jane Garland Wife Married Female 38 1873 - Lancashire
Fergus John Garland Son - Male 3 1908 - Newport Mon

He had been married 4 years, 2 children born, 1 still living.

GARLAND, ARTHUR HEYES
GRO Reference: 1910 J Quarter in NEWPORT. MON Volume 11A Page 250

GARLAND, ARTHUR 0
GRO Reference: 1910 D Quarter in NEWPORT. MON Volume 11A Page 139

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 14 Jun 2020 15:47

Hi All.
Thank you all once again for taking an interest in my request ,and sending me all the research information that you have found, which has been a tremendous help with my research.
All take care, stay safe.
Malcolm..