Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Job description what is a doorman SORTED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 5 Jul 2020 17:03

Hello
I wonder if anyone could help me.
I have a certificate of my husbands grandad dated 8th November 1927

It states that it is a Certificate of Registration of Doormen

It is from the Worshipful Company of Farriers.

This is to certify that Harry Carter of Arlington Road, Easton nr Winchester Hants was this day entered upon the register of the Worshipful Company of Farriers as duly qualified to work as a Registered Doorman in accordance with the rules and regulations of The Worshipful Company of Farriers

We know he was a blacksmith but no idea what a doorman is .

I have looked on the website of Worshipful Company of Farriers but coudnt see anything about Doormen

Any help would be very much appreciated.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Jul 2020 17:18

Could you perhaps contact them and see if they could give you any idea what it would be:-

For Livery and general matters:

The Clerk to The Worshipful Company of Farriers
19, Queen Street
Chipperfield
Kings Langley
Herts
WD4 9BT

Tel: 01923 260747
Fax: 01923 261677
[email protected]

Kath. x

Carter

Carter Report 5 Jul 2020 17:23

Thanks Kath If no one can help me then thats what I will do
Linda x

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Jul 2020 17:56

The question into google was "what is a doorman in the worshipful company of farriers"

https://books.google.co.uk/books

The Country Blacksmith
Page 32 - At many smithies shoeing was an operation carried out by a two-man team of a doorman and a firemen. The doorman was often the apprentice, whose work was preparing the hooves, nailing on the shoes, and finishing off by clenching (clinching) the nails and dressing them smooth. In addition the doorman would assist the master farrier or smith, the fireman, to make up the shoes, swinging the heavy sledge hammer as required.

or Millwater's Farriery
Page 45 When farriers work as a team to shoe a horse, as in traditional shop situations, the farrier who applies the shoes is called the doorman. See also Fireman

Carter

Carter Report 5 Jul 2020 18:58

thank you so much greyghost . thats a great help
linda x