Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pre 1700 Meads

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 11 Jul 2020 06:42

For a long time I have have formed a Tree starting with Benet Meade marrying Clemence in 1592, but not sure now whether the Line is correct.

What seems to be correct from Thomas1665 Bisham, Bucks, and Jane Gregg marrying in 1689 in London and producing 9 children, all in Hurley, Berks.

Is the father Thomas1640?, shown marrying Susanna Shooter, both near 60, in 1698 in Leicestershre correct? A Susanna Smalwood seems to have married a William Slater in 1663 about 3 weeks after her first child by him was baptised Catherine in Brereton, Cheshire! The phonetic names Shooter/Schuter appear in other records. Her fourth child, Elizabeth was born at the end of 1668.
So, can anyone find if the Meads line is correct please.

Terence Meads. South Australia.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jul 2020 09:15

Your tree should start with yourself, and work backwards systematically , ensuring that every step is verified. It is all too easy to make mistakes otherwise

Maddie

Maddie Report 11 Jul 2020 12:41

Name: Jane Gregg
Record Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 22 Sep 1689
Marriage Place: Collegiate Church of St Katherine by the Tower, City of London, London, England
Spouse: Thomas Meadowes -------------
Register Type: Parish Register

there are a number of trees on ancestry, appear to copy each other and with no evidence of the bapt of thomas and jane, parentage on these trees are a matter of conjecture

children of thomas and jane

Thomas Meads

1690–
Catharine Meads

1691–
Anne Meads

1693–
Jane Meads

1697–
John Meads

1702–1753
Edward Meads

1704–
Mary Meads

1706–
William Meads

1706–
Francis Meads

1709–

maddie

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2020 14:23

There were Meads and its varieties of spellings living in Buckinghamshire as far back as the late 1400's. It is not believed that they origins in Cheshire.
Bisham is now part of Berkshire and not far from Hurley.. The older Meads came from the more northerly parts of the county.
As Erika said, you need to work back from what you can prove. Don't assume because the name seems tight you have the right person.

Terence

Terence Report 13 Jul 2020 01:36

Thank you all for your comments. Yes I have worked back from myself to 1665, where I seem to be the 11th Meads. All from official records of the 4 societies I am a member of, and noting Jane's husband was recorded as Meadows.

The most reliable records show that my Meads seem to originate from around Hurley in Berkshire, until crossing the Hurley lock walkway to settle in Medmenham, Buckinghamshire from about 1810 to my grandfather Harry 1890.

Records pre1700 seem to have been affected by the Civil War in the Reading area from 1642. Then there was the Glorious Revolutoin in1688.

Of course I'm aware of the typical schooldays mistake of copying wrong answers as shown in Ancestry, hence my latest post.

As I really appreciate you 'Helpers' looking into these questions, it seems there are no records to confirm the right answer.

Thank you all agian.

Terence.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Jul 2020 16:08

I think we were all being cautious, as I am sure you know there are probably more people who just copy than those who actually do the research.

There used to be a work on the Mead family, which now doesn't seem to be available, which suggested that the Soulbury.Stewkley Meads were descendants of the Bristol Medes. The thought being that as there was a gap - land had been granted by the King.

There is now a new site where the owner has researched using legal documents, such as wills and has grouped the Meads into different units.

https://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home

It is good you know the area and we can safely assume that your Meads would be part of the Henley group. If you haven't come across this site it is well worth having a hunt around it.

Terence

Terence Report 14 Jul 2020 01:30

Thank you 'namelessone', I shall have a look at this new site.
Of course I have notes on Henley, Stewkley and others which need confirmation.

The other thing on record is why John1700 and Elizabeth went all the way south to Wasing after the birth of John1725 and Richard1728 in Hurley, then the others born in Wasing.

It seems the confirmed start of my 'tree' is Thomas1730 (some say Wasing others Hurley), where they settled in Cookham in the mid 1750's.

Perhaps this new site will provide the right anwers?

As you can see, I don't ask you 'helpers' until I think I've hit the proverbial 'Brick Wall'.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Terence.