Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canada marriage records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 18 Mar 2023 16:54

Hi, I am trying to find the marriage details for Margaret Craig Lawrence nee Duggan.
marring Stanley John Hole.
I believe from the dates of the birth of her children it must have been around 1922-1925.
Margaret and Stanley's first daughter born Beatrice Mary Hole 13/12/1925 in Montreal

Ian

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2023 17:01

Have you tried familysearch?

Ian

Ian Report 18 Mar 2023 17:20

Hi Yes I have looked in both Ancestry UK and Familysearch not seen their marriage details on these sites

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Mar 2023 17:27

You won’t find Canadian marriages on Ancestry UK you would need World.

Canada has different rules regarding when access is allowed.

Ian

Ian Report 18 Mar 2023 17:32

sorry I do have Ancestry World acc

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2023 19:22

Name: Stanley John Hole
Race/Nationality: English
Record Type: Manifests
Birth Date: abt 1891
Birth Country: England
Arrival Date: May 1924
Port of Arrival: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Residence Country: Canada
Line Number: 29

According to a tree on Ancestry (not backed-up) Margaret's husband James Lawrence didn't die until 1928, so perhaps there was no marriage to Hole

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2023 19:31

1921 Census Of England & Wales
78, Freemantle Road, Bristol, Gloucestershire, England

Mary Ann Hole Head Female 1858 63 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Vest Hand Wells & Co Cletters (Out Of Work)
Stanley John Hole Son Male 1890 30 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Steel Turner Trand Trank Rly Canada (Out Of Work) MARRIED
Beatrice Maud Mary Williams Daughter Female 1885 36 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Vest Hand Wills & Co Clothers (Out Of Work)
Walter Charles Cecil Hole Son Male 1895 26 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Telephonist G P O

He was still 'married' when he arrived in Canada in July 1923..although on the 1924 record posted above, he claims to have been single

Name: Stanley John Hole
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Birth Place: Bristol, England
Date of Arrival: 15 Jul 1923
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Bristol, England
Ship Name: Ausonia

Marriages Mar 1912 (>99%)
Hickery Edith Hole Bristol 6a 180
Hole Stanley J Hickery Bristol 6a 180

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2023 19:34

Births Dec 1914 (>99%)
Hole Frederick A Hickery Bristol 6a 295
Births Dec 1921 (>99%)
Hole Edna Hickery Bristol 6a 334

Ian

Ian Report 19 Mar 2023 00:33

Thanks to all that kindly helped me with my family research your support is very much appreciated you have given me much to look into.

best regards
Ian

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Mar 2023 03:02

FYI .....................

All bmd records (or VITAL records as they are called here) in Canada are provincial responsibilities, so you need to know which province the event took place.

It is not as easy as for England and Wales!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 29 Apr 2023 21:01

Just a bump to say, in case it's of interest:

The 1931 Census of Canada will become available sometime soon (for browsing images on June 1, and then Ancestry and FamilySearch will be collaborating with Library and Archives Canada to make digitized searchable transcriptions available).

Beatrice emigrated to the US in 1943

Name Beatrice M Hole
Birth 13 Dec 1923
Arrival 12 Jun 1943
Buffalo, New York, USA

and died there in 1998, but Margaret Craig (Duggan) Lawrence and children would presumably still have been in Canada in 1931? and there might be more useful information in the census.

Other than that, yes, it certainly seems there was no marriage. The Drouin collection of Quebec church records shows Beatrice's baptism (DOB mistakenly transcribed as 30th rather than 13th) but shows nothing for either parent themselves.