Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Woodbridge Barrack 1810 ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Sylann

Sylann Report 11 Apr 2023 14:07

Looking for any one who likes a challenge and possibly into the Militia's 1810
I've been on this for 20yrs , but keep getting little snip it's extra
This last one is John McAlpine born Scotland abt 1785 and wife Margaret Donaldson had a son George McAlpine when they were at Woodbrige Barracks Not sure If John went there on the HMS Britannia But we found out he was a Landsman apparently that is like a volunteer sailor.
I was wondering if he would have had to sign on if so where

So in all these years I've got he married Margaret Donaldson 1807 Haddington he was a soldier in the Berwickshire Militia went to Woodbridge barracks had a son George 1810 and was a Landsman on HMS Britannia

Any surgestions on where to look next

Thank you

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Apr 2023 14:32

Woodbridge in Suffolk?

You haven’t told us where you HAVE looked, which would save a lot of unnecessary suggestions.

Added: I only got as far as Wikipedia which days Landsmen were sailors of less than one years service and usually pressganged.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2023 14:51

At least one other thread about this………………….specifically
And countless others asking for help with McAlpine in various years and locations

Not sure what is actually being asked for this time……………

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Apr 2023 15:06

Which makes it important that she tells us where she has looked as requested earlier.

Erika - you keep adding lines to your post. I assume she wants someone to wave a magic wand and find the answer.

Added: if John served in the Royal Navy he would/ should have been on the muster roll.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Apr 2023 15:29

Blink and it’s gone.

An example of Naval Barracks - Chatham Naval Barracks also called HMS Pembroke.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2023 15:40

This thread should be deleted

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Apr 2023 15:51

Why?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2023 15:55

Because it’s a duplicate :-S :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Apr 2023 16:02

Word for word or same question put another way?

Sylann

Sylann Report 11 Apr 2023 17:01

sorry I had company

although I find you very helpful I also think you shouldn't be on here if you talk like this it's like bullying some one because they don't think like you and get things right
this has happened before to me and others who use this site
It's no wonder not many people come on here now I for one won't be using it again

Sorry to all the people that are helpful and don't criticize