Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Polly Wright

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerald

Gerald Report 18 Apr 2023 22:49

Looking for information on Polly Wright. London Electoral Rolls she is living with Henry J & Edith Annie Smart. Circa 1928-1935. Edith was also known as just Annie and her maiden name was Wright. They are living in Church Rd, Acton, Middlesex on these Electoral Rolls. Edith Annie was born in Acton. Is anyone able to check 1921 Census for a Polly Wright living with Annie, in Acton. I suspect she may have been born when Edit Annie was unmarried. Unable to pin down a birth, so hoping census record might give me some clues as to age, where born etc. As well as Annie’s information. any help gratefully acknowledged.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Apr 2023 04:51

Polly isn’t with them in 1921

40, Church Road, Acton, Middlesex, England
Household members (4 people)

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Sex Birth year Age in years Birth place Occupation Employer
Henry John Smart Head Male 1873 47 Hammersmith, London, England Butcher Employer
Edith Annie Smart Wife Female 1881 40 Middlesex, England - -
Mary G Schwindt Mother Female 1838 83 Woodford, Essex, England - -
Mary G Schwindt Sister Female 1866 55 Camberwell, London, England - -

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Apr 2023 05:15

There’s no Polly Wright with Edith in 1911 and she married Henry in 1913

They don’t have a Polly Wright with them in 1921 either as previously posted

To be on the electoral rolls too in the 1920,s she would have to be 21 or over

Polly too could be a diminutive for a Mary or Molly etc so not necessarily a birth name

Gerald

Gerald Report 19 Apr 2023 08:58

Thanks. Back to square one.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Apr 2023 09:00

Voting age was 21. Remember that when calculating possible birth year

What else do you know about Polly/. Have you looked for a marriage? Have you looked for her in 1939?

You seem to be assuming she was a child of Edith Wright, but have you considered that she could have been a sister - or sister-in-law. Cousin even?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Apr 2023 09:09

You give a spread of dates for the ERs on which the woman is listed - which year is the first when she is with the Smarts?

She could, of course, be totally unconnected - Wright isn’t an uncommon surname

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Apr 2023 10:05

Polly does not appear on the ER with the Smarts in 1930 - either she wasn't living with them, or she hadn't reached voting age.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Apr 2023 13:46

Someone named Polly Wright is with Annie Wright in 1929 and 1930, at 51 Church Road, Acton.

Therefore that Annie Wright isn't Edith Annie Smart, nee Wright, who married in 1913.

The Smarts are at 40 Church Road, Acton from at least 1920 onwards, including 1929 and 1930.

Someone (not necessarily the same person ) named Polly Wright is with the Smarts in 1934, 1935 and 1936.
At least she's at the same address - but could be a different flat.

As already said - not necessarily any relation.

Gerald

Gerald Report 20 Apr 2023 01:53

Thanks everyone. It seems a coincidence that Polly is living in Church Rd, Acton, with Annie Wright in 1929/1930. Then, coincidently, a Polly Wright is found living with Edith Annie Smart. nee Wright a couple of years later. I was hoping that in 1921 census a Polly Wright, would be listed with Annie, maybe in Church Rd again. But it seems not.
It is accepted Wright is a common name, as I know only to well from my research. Also Polly could indeed be Mary, or even Molly…
Possibly just a coincidence, or maybe it is family.
Will carry on searching to try to get to the bottom of this conundrum.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Apr 2023 09:36

Polly may have no significance to a real name. I was amazed when my Aunt Molly died to find her real name - there was no possible connection, just a pet name that carried on through her life.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Apr 2023 11:35

My maternal grandmother's name was Mary Ann.
She was always known as Polly to family and friends - though not on official forms.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Apr 2023 15:25

Normally, people would use their ‘proper’ names on official forms

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Apr 2023 15:32

That only works if the person filling out any form actually knows the persons real name.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2023 17:29

...... or doesn't 'presume' the correct name from information given.

A man I knew got married abroad. His mother was known as Dolly.
His marriage certificate showed both his parents' name and the mother was recorded as Dorothy.
Her name was really Sarah Jane.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Apr 2023 19:23

My step paternal grandfather registered two of their children births and put her name as Annie !

She was Emma Ann but he called her Annie so !!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Apr 2023 19:53

Just a suggestion, which may be completely irrelevant! Possibly the Annie in 1929-30 ER ???

???
Annie Wright
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Annie Wright
Death Age: 72
Birth Date: abt 1861
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration District: Brentford
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume: 3a
Page: 304

But again, it's a very common name.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Apr 2023 20:45

One of OH's married-ins that he actually knew as she didn't die, was called Lena.

I had the greatest difficulty in finding her, until up popped a record .............. her real name was Paulina!

My gt grandmother left her husband some time in the 1890s, I only finally solved the problem as to what really happened to her and when and where she died late last year. Her name was Hannah, but she used Annie all the time after she left the home, was even buried as Annie with 2 of her children involved in the registration and burial. Yes, she went back to the home town, and even lived with the daughter for some time.

My problem was that Annie and her surname combination was VERY common in Lancashire at the time!