Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alice Violet Mant 10th January 1892

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 8 Aug 2023 14:00

This lady was my Granny in London Greenwich. I hope someone can help find some more information about her. She was a Foundling. Told she was left on a Railway Station and that is where the birth date comes from. Then brought up by Nuns.
I can't find her in 1901 but in 1911 she is in Catford working as a Servant aged 25 at 166 Wellmeadow Road, Hither Green, Catford S E working for the Hopkin Family. My Grandfather's Family lived in Catford also. They meet and married 4th March1919 in Lewisham after he had been in the War. Is there any way I can find out about her being found or where she grew up? I would love to know more about her and been looking for a long time. One my Uncle's looked (Her Son) but is gone now. She was a Lovely Lady and I would like to know more about where she did come from. Can anyone help please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2023 14:13

For INFO only................

1911 Census For England & Wales
166 Wellmeadow Road Catford S E, Lewisham, London & Kent, England
Henry Robert Hopkins Head Married Male 46 1865 Sanitary and food inspector Middlesex Tottenham
Sarah Jane Hopkins Wife Married Female 37 1874 - Middlesex Tottenham
Norah Claire Hopkins Daughter - Female 13 1898 School Middlesex Tottenham
Eileen Hopkins Daughter - Female 11 1900 School Kent Greenwich
Shiela Hopkins Daughter - Female 7 1904 School Kent Greenwich
Moira Hopkins Daughter - Female 6 1905 School Kent Greenwich
Desmond John Hopkins Son - Male 3 1908 - Kent Catford
Harriett Pate Mother in law Widow Female 77 1834 - Lincolnshire Louth
Alice Violet Mant Servant Single Female 25 1886 General servant domestic Middlesex Hampton

Birth year is not as per your title

The DoB given in 1939 is as you state.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2023 14:19

1921 Census Of England & Wales
256, Well Hall Road, Eltham, London & Kent, England

Robert L Paine Head Male 1890 31 Greenwich, London, England General Labourer Royal Air Force
Alice V Paine Wife Female 1890 31 - Home Duties -
Marie V Paine Daughter Female 1920 1 Kent, England - -
Florence M Reynolds Boarder Female 1890 31 Welling, Kent, England House Duties -
Chris A Reynolds Boarder Male 1893 28 Suffolk, England L C C Professional Fireman London County Council London Fire Brigade

Her birthplace per image is given as Hampton Court.
Age is recorded as 31yrs and 1 month

Deaths Jun 1967 (>99%)
Paine Alice V 76 Woolwich 5e 872

Carol

Carol Report 8 Aug 2023 14:43

Thank You Erikah. I hadnot seen the 1921 census yet.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Aug 2023 15:06

You can check the newspapers on here or search for free on the British Newspaper archives. The result san come out as gobbledygook but as you have a date it might be well worth a look.

Carol

Carol Report 8 Aug 2023 15:11

Thank You. I will Try.

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Aug 2023 15:59

1901 - again age out from that you give

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
37, Queens Road, Paddington, London & Middlesex, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Ernest H Philps Head Married Male 40 1861 Builders Bow
Lucy E Philps Wife Married Female 39 1862 - Tottenham, Middlesex, England
Winifred E Philps Daughter Single Female 14 1887 - Bayswater, Middlesex, England
Alice Mant Servant Single Female 14 1887 General servant Hampton, Middlesex, England

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Aug 2023 16:06

The 1939 register shows that birthdate you mention.

1939 Register
30 Campfield Road, Mottingham, Bromley, Woolwich, London, England

First name(s) Last name(s) Birth date Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule sub number
Alice V Paine 10 Jan 1892 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 97 1
Robert F Paine 07 Apr 1890 Male General Labourer Royal Air Force Repair D Married 97 2
Marie V Daniel (Paine) 31 Jan 1920 Female Food Oress Operator Typewriter Spool Factory Single 97 3
The record for this person is officially closed.
The record for this person is officially closed.