Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bakewell Workhouse.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 13 Apr 2018 00:29

I have found 2 ancestors died at 3 Baslow Road Bakewell and found out it was the Workhouse. One died in 1922 and the other in 1943. I have however not been able to find out where they are buried.

1. William (Ruben) Sheppard. this surname can turn up with various spellings. 1922

2. Robert Edward Staniford. 1943

Is it possible they are buried in a mass unmarked grave/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Apr 2018 07:23

It maybe it was the workhouse hospital not the workhouse itself

Folks often went into the workhouse hospitals for treatments,childbirth etc when they couldn't afford private care

Folks got a bit put out to the ref of workhouse when they were not in it but in hospital so it was became the norm to put the postal address on certs instead
Lots of workhouse hospitals became the local general hospital when the NHS started

In fact the building closed as a workhouse in 1930

Have you got the deaths certs .For the times they died in would be most likely a municipal cemetery so the local council Parks and Cemeteries dept would have the records if you ring them and give the details from the certs

It could be they may be in a common grave but the council will have the details of cemetery and rownand plot number :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Apr 2018 11:06

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Bakewell

Cemeteries
Bakewell Municipal Cemetery was founded in 1858 as a 3.5 acre parcel and lies a few hundred yards south of the parish church on Yeld Road.

The cemetery had one mortuary chapel for Church of England members and one for non-conformists.

The local Urban District Council holds all burials records, but these may be viewed by appointment only. They will NOT do e-mail lookups for you.

That's a nuisance!

Contact details here
http://www.bakewelltowncouncil.gov.uk/search.html?query=burials

You could contact Bakewell Library to see if the records have been passed into their care?
Granby Road
Bakewell
Derbyshire
DE45 1ES

email: [email protected]
Tel: 01629 533964
Fax: 01629 815337

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 Apr 2018 12:21

You could try asking Derek. His thread about Derbyshire Records is near the bottom of the first page of Find Ancestors.

Gee

Gee Report 14 Apr 2018 13:33

Name: Robert Edward Staniford late of Richmond Terrace

Birth Year:abt 1861

Burial Date:12 Mar 1943

Burial Place:Matlock, Derbyshire, England

Ceremony performed by H M Lucas
-------------------------------------------------------------
Added

William Sheppard late of Litton, died in Bakewell

Birth Year:abt 1851

Burial Date:25 Mar 1922

Burial Place:Tideswell, Derbyshire, England

The front cover on the register states: Tideswell Church

Marion

Marion Report 20 Apr 2018 00:32

Thank You so much everyone. I did after much going through different items that William Sheppard was buried at Tideswell. As for the Robert Edward Staniford, it seems from what a relation told me and what I found out since is true, he was quite a character and the Black Sheep of the family.. It seems he had to be buried away from the family when he died as most seem to be buried in the Bakewell Churchyard. The 2 mentioned are half brothers...same Mother but different Fathers as Mother's first husband died. The aforesaid Robert Edward Staniford was Town Crier in Matlock for a few years. Thank You so much once again.