Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Catholic registers for deaths on scotlandspeople

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 25 Oct 2018 14:51

Hello,

I wonder if anyone knows about Catholic registers for deaths and burials on Scotlandspeople.

I have found the death certificate for my ancestor Henry Wright who died in Glasgow
in 1922, there is also a record for his death in the Catholic Register which I have not viewed yet as I don't want to waste credits if both records would show the same information .
Does anyone know what it would show ?

regards

jean

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2018 15:26

This might help

https://tinyurl.com/y9kljhfm

Leads to Scotlandspeople guide to Catholic Parish Records - Deaths, burials & funerals.

If it’s a direct line Ancestor, you might find it satisfying to have details from birth to grave.

Check on https://www.deceasedonline.com to see if there’s an entry. It’ll give you the date of burial. You do have to purchase a min of £5 credits to see where the burial took place. You could use some of them to view the burial register - probably only relevant in your example if they were buried in a municipal cemetery.

Jean

Jean Report 25 Oct 2018 15:37

Thank you for replying,
never thought of deceasedonline , I will take a look,

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 26 Oct 2018 13:23

Index shows he was buried in St Peter's, Dalbeth.

The image will say if it's a communal grave or if it was a lair.

If he was buried in a lair, it should provide info on the lair owner.

Neither would show any personal info.

EDIT:
All indices show the word "Lair" even if the burial was in common ground.

Jean

Jean Report 27 Oct 2018 16:38

Thank you GlasgowLass ,

I have looked at his will and testament on Scotlandspeople which showed me who his wife was , which I knew from his death certificate ,didn't mention any other family members though. I thought maybe the death registers might show any other family members buried in the lair.

I have sent an e.mail to Scotlandspeople so hopefully they will be able to explain,

thanks again

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Oct 2018 15:56

Henry Wright
in the UK and Ireland, Find A Grave Index, 1300s-Current
Name: Henry Wright
Birth Date: 1870
Death Date: 21 Mar 1922
Death Place: Glasgow, Glasgow City, Scotland
Cemetery: Dalbeth Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Glasgow, Glasgow City, Scotland
Has Bio?: Y

Bio says:

Plot 6561. Lair:255. Section:16. Division:W.
Memorial ID 79612912 · View Source

Buried the 20th March 1922.
Aged 52 years.
Relation to grave owner: Owner. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Depth of first opening:8 ft.
Cost of burial: £2.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Oct 2018 15:58

Contact the cemetery - they'll have records, hopefully.

Dalbeth Cemetery
Address: 1900 London Rd, Glasgow G32 8XG
Phone: 0141 778 1186

Known variously as St Peter's Cemetery or Dalbeth Cemetery it is owned by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow. Opened in 1863 it is still in current use, and has the distinction of generating its own electricity, courtesy of a single wind turbine on the southern boundary. \n\nThere is an international aspect to this burial ground, with many Polish and Italian deceased resting in their own sections of this massive cemetery. That said, it is open to all denominations.

https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/Saint-Peter-Cemetery-Dalbeth/250004

Jean

Jean Report 29 Oct 2018 15:06

Thank you very much for this Argyllgran ,

still waiting to hear back from Scotlandspeople but in the meantime I will contact the
cemetery ,

regards
jean