Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding deaths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2018 10:58

So... a conundrum.

You know a relative has died, you even attended their funeral. You weren't particularly close, but did quite like them. Their immediate nok are terribly upset. As it happens, they also have an interest in FH.

When would you add the deceased's details (B,M,D) to your on-line tree? The nok's tree is off line.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Nov 2018 11:38

I do it soon after the funeral.
It's not breaking DP law, and I think those of my relatives who are interested in FH appreciate facts being as up to date and accurate as possible.

But then my tree's only on GR and RootsMagic, so nobody can see it without my agreement.
Do you mean that your tree is freely viewable by anyone?

It's a very subjective thing!

I don't think closeness to or fondness of the deceased comes into it, but the possible reaction of the NOK does.

Perhaps you could ask them if they mind you adding the death details to your tree in the interests of accuracy?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2018 14:49

Thank you ArgyllGran. A very sensitive answer.

Yes, my main tree is public on Ancestry. I do try hard not to include living people. Some do occasionally slip through, particularly if they’re past the average age at death.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Nov 2018 08:04

I think accuracy takes second place to other's feelings, in this situation.

ArgyllGran's suggestion is good, but I would leave it a few weeks at least.