Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with illegible occupation please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Nov 2018 15:57

Can anyone decipher this occupation please. It is on a ship's manifest/passenger list. The passenger is a 26 year old single woman travelling from Liverpool to Quebec in 1911. I have put the image in my keepsafe.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/edit/84160277

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Nov 2018 16:17

The image has been marked as private. If you make it public I'll have a look.

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Nov 2018 16:20

Kath,
I was about to post too.
I'm willing to try.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Nov 2018 16:21

Hi Kathleen
I had changed it to Shared with Everyone but must have forgotten to save the changes. Sorry about that. I've done it now.
Vera

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Nov 2018 16:24

It’s difficult without other examples of the handwriting but the second word could be Asst short for Assistant.

Could you give the manifest transcript so we can look at the original?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Nov 2018 16:24

Is it possible to upload more of the image so that we can compare the letters with other writing on the page?

Could possibly be W'hose Assistant (Warehouse)

Kath. x

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Nov 2018 16:40

Sorry I can’t upload any more as it was sent to me in that form by someone else. You have done better than me with reading it. I think you are right with Asst and W’house is a definite possibility.

I am grateful for your help.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Nov 2018 19:36

What is her name .maybe she can be found on the 1911 census

Or did she travel before the census was taken

Maybe she can be found on the incoming records into the USA

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Nov 2018 19:39

Will it tell you more from the arrival listings in Quebec ?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Nov 2018 20:04

I agree with Kath - I think it's Warehouse Assistant (W'hse Asst)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Nov 2018 21:08

Thank you all for your interest and help.

This is a pretty distant branch of the family - not even a branch, more like a twig - so I don't want anyone to spend time on it. I was just interested to see if anyone else could decipher the occupation.

But to answer your questions - she sailed for Canada in May 1911 so should have been around for the census. However, her name was Elizabeth Smith and you can imagine how many of those there are! I know her birth was registered in the Worcester district in 1884. I also know her father James Smith was Irish and the family moved to Ireland sometime between 1886 and 1889. At this time they were mainly in Cork but by the 1901 census they are in County Antrim.

Most of the family went to Canada in 1909. I don't know if Elizabeth came back to England at that stage or stayed in Ireland. There are a number of possibles in the 1911 census. One particularly likely one is a 27 year old nurse in the house of a surgeon in the Worcester area. Elizabeth's mother was a nurse so it is possible that she followed in mum's footsteps but I can't see how a nurse in April 1911 can become a warehouse assistant by May 1911.

I've written all this just to allay any curiosity you had but she is a very distant 'marry-in' so please don't spend any time on her.

Thanks again for your help

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Nov 2018 21:19

What ship did she sail on?

EDIT:
Ah yes, this is the record:

Elizabeth Smith
in the Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
Name: Elizabeth Smith
Arrival Age: 26
Birth Year: abt 1885
Departure Port: Liverpool, England
Arrival date: 22 May 1911
Arrival Port: Quebec, Canada
Vessel: Lake Manitoba

In the column for "religion" it says C of I - Church of Ireland.

I don't see an equivalent UK Outgoing record for comparison.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Nov 2018 21:48

Thank you ArgyllGran. Church of Ireland would fit as Elizabeth's father was Irish and some of her siblings were born in Ireland.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Nov 2018 23:43

On the image on Findmypast for the 26 year old E. Smith travelling on the Lake Manitoba, her occupation is given as "Dom" (domestic), so can't be the same one as the one you have the occupation image for.

Kath. x

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 22 Nov 2018 08:45

Kath
I’ve now spoken to the person who sent me the image. It came from the Familysearch site so I have now been able to find it myself on the Canada Passenger Lists. It is the record ArgyllGran has posted and definitely says W’hse Asst.

I am reasonably sure this is our Elizabeth. Church of Ireland fits for her religion and her destination is Winnipeg and that was where her brother and his wife were living at the time.
Vera

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 22 Nov 2018 21:24

an occupation of nurse does not fit with warehouse but how about workhouse assistant?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 22 Nov 2018 21:42

Funnily enough someone else suggested workhouse assistant to me today. It is a possibility though I don’t really know if the one I found as a nurse in the 1911 census is my Elizabeth Smith. It is a very common name.

Another suggestion I was given today was ........whorehouse assistant :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Nov 2018 23:12

When I suggested Warehouse Assistant for the occupation, I hadn't seen the mention of nursing. so I think LancashireAnn's suggestion of Workhouse assistant is much more likely.

Kath. x