Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Letmon / Letman Family of Dublin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gabrielle

Gabrielle Report 25 Nov 2018 19:07

My mother's maternal family name in Dublin was Letmon or Letman (spelt both ways).

We know that the name is not typically Irish and anyone with the name (past or present) in Dublin is literally a member of our family. Nobody outside of our family appears to have that name.

My Ancestry DNA results show a high combined Irish and European Jewish result, and as my late mother always said the Letmon name might have been German or Jewish in origin, this has got me thinking.

Over the past 10 years I have done extensive research on the Letmon line of the family, building a large family tree but hitting a wall in 1803 with the first recorded birth in the family (Roman Catholic).

I've seen no evidence of any members of the family coming from outside Ireland, or being anything other than Roman Catholic. Most of the men in the family were carpenters by trade.

I have even engaged a couple of professional researchers over the years, but to no avail.

If anyone has any knowledge of the Letmon / Letman name in Dublin, or its wider origins, please do let me know. I'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Nov 2018 18:20

Welcome to the boards, Gabrielle.

For helpers' reference, I'm posting this link to your earlier thread on Rootschat:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760953.0

Gabrielle

Gabrielle Report 27 Nov 2018 11:01

Many thanks for your note. I'll keep my fingers crossed that somebody might be able to shed a light!

safc

safc Report 27 Nov 2018 17:06

hi
don't know when judith was born
or if it's her married name

Area - DUBLIN (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. CATHERINE

Baptism of JOHN MALONE of N/R on 2 December 1803

Back to search results
New search
Name
Exact Matches Only
-

More search options
Name JOHN MALONE
Date of Birth N/R N/R N/R
Address N/R
Father JOHN MALONE
Mother ANNE MAGEE
Further details in the record
Sponsor 1 JOHN MAGEE
Sponsor 2 JUDITH LETMON
About the record
Book Number Page Entry Number Record_Identifier Image Filename
N/R 57 N/R DU-RC-BA-461588 st.catherine_mf_1740-1852_ba_0652

View the church register page containing this record.

You will need Adobe Reader to view this image.

Gabrielle

Gabrielle Report 28 Nov 2018 17:57

Thank you very much for that information safc. It was very kind of you to go to that trouble.

I do believe, however, I actually have this information - is it from the Irish Genealogy website?

Judith Letmon (maiden name Whelan) was either my 4 x great grandmother or my 5 x great aunt. Not fully worked out the relationship yet but she and her husband William (and their children) are as far back as I've been able to go so far - and all still Irish and Roman Catholic.

But thank you once again. The search continues!

Regards
Gabrielle

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 29 Nov 2018 09:53

Gabrielle...I imagine you have these but just in case you haven't....

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesunion/obituary.aspx?n=rose-edward-letmon&pid=18546704

Kilgobbin Cem. Dublin

In Loving Memory | of | a dear husband & father | VINCENT LETMON | who departed
this life | 6th November 1991 | aged 70 years | R.I.P.
On the base: - LETMON.

https://williamjleberfh.com/tribute/details/185/Margaret-Letmon/obituary.html

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Nov 2018 15:48

The surname Letman isn't unique to Ireland it appears in many Britishnewspapers. online.

Gabrielle

Gabrielle Report 29 Nov 2018 16:05

Thanks Eringobragh1916. And yes, these are my late cousins Margaret (Peggy) Letmon and Vincent. I think I've exhausted all the Letmon/Letman records in Ireland now, but hit a wall in around 1803.

Would so love to be able to go back further.

Also, thanks very much for your note too Kay. As you say, Letman is a common name in England, and also in parts of Europe, but it really stands out as unusual in Dublin (even now with my living relatives there) particularly with our unusual family spelling of 'Letmon'.

I've done a bit of browing through the British Newspapers but never been able to find a connection or get to the root of where it started for our family in Ireland .... ah well, I guess I shall just keep digging!

Thanks to all for your responses!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 29 Nov 2018 16:49

Have you checked out the Little Bray Connections to the Dublin Letmon/Letmans...also the Fannings of Bray.....
Would enjoy getting my teeth into this lot..!!!

Have you get Edward(Bray) Military Records..may give you some extra info.....

Gabrielle

Gabrielle Report 29 Nov 2018 16:58

Hi Eringobragh

Yes, I do have quite a bit of information around Edward Letman (and his brother James a tobacconist) both having landed up in Little Bray at some point and both being my 3 x great uncles.

I also have some information on Edward's military record - he actually served 9 years in Mauritius in the mid-1800s.

Never heard of the Fannings though.... do you know them as being connected in some way to the Letmons?

Regards
Gabrielle

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 29 Nov 2018 17:37

Gabrielle.
.James Letman /Letmon was exec.for her Will 1879..he was actually listed as a Carpenter.
Don't know the connection wonder if she was Letman prior to marriage...?
He as you will know died 1890 and everything went to his Nephew Edward..(Carpenter Dublin)

Gabrielle

Gabrielle Report 29 Nov 2018 18:21

Hmm, that's an interesting lead for me to follow up on. Thank you for that.

Yes, James and Edward were both carpenters by trade but James was also a tobacconist.

The other carpenter - the nephew Edward Letmon - was my great grandfather.

Will take a look at that Fanning connection now. Cheers!

Regards
Gabrielle