Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Order of the British Empire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 8 Dec 2018 18:01

I have just filled an army records request for Lieutenant Colonel Edward John Hatfield OBE (17/5/1902 to 18/3/1980). His daughter registered his death with his OBE title. I hope his records with state date of receipt.I have search on-line but can't find the date of receipt or if any other details exist around his recognition. Looking at history it’s not like Sally Gunnell (1992 Olympic Gold 400m hurdles) getting it. On wikapedia I have found some ~ 1953 New Year Honour's listings and it looks more like their was a common recognition of a distinguished long Army (Forces) Service award ?? around his generation. I wonder if anyone can find his award date and was the award to military common for long service. He was in the Devonshire Regiment from at least 1928 (married) to 1933 (Electoral roll). Also does everyone see the Queen or in his case more likely the King when this are awarded.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2018 18:35

A (living) contact signs himself OBE. He was a career officer in the RAF. As far as I can work out, his position was as procurement officer for the base. On that basis, I'd say it was more than likely to be long serving 'Muggins turn to be awarded a Gong'.

The husband of a relative's collegue was awarded the KBE earlier this year. In his case it was in relation to the work that he, as a serving Naval Officer, was involved in after the hurricanes Irma and Maria tore through the Caribbean last year.

Although the Monarch normally presents awards, I seem to recall other members of the Royal Family taking up some of the slack since Elizabeth became monarch.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2018 18:46

There's an entry for him here?
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/44740/supplement/12

1 Jan 1969
Lieutenant-Colonel John Edward Hatfield DL,
lately Secretary, Territorial and Auxiliary Forces Association
for the county of Devon

Turn the page back twice to image 10 & you'll see the column heading OBE.
So may it wasn't 'Muggins Turn' after all!

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 8 Dec 2018 22:27

Thank you Detective, not sure if its a Charity Association or TA, He was 68 so well past retirement from the forces. So good on him must have volunteered to support the TA Army or ex-soldiers in need.Any Idea what DL may have stood for or is it another title?

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 8 Dec 2018 22:35

Checked my "Useful Abbreviations" sent with former service Records and no entry for DL :(. My wife think its Deputy Lieutenant are nominated by the Lord Lieutenant of the County, who is appointed by the queen.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2018 22:37

Deputy Lieutenant (DL)
https://www.debretts.com/expertise/forms-of-address/letters-after-the-name/

Deputy lieutenants are nominated by a lord lieutenant, to assist with any duties as may be required.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deputy_lieutenant

Sounds as if it were an honorific & ceremonial County (Devon?) position. You might have heard of the Lord Lieutenant of the City of London or the Lord Lieutenant of the Cinque Ports etc

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2018 22:51

Again from Wiki - Territorial, Auxiliary and Volunteer Reserve Association

The Lord Lieutenant of each county was ex-officio president of their Association.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial,_Auxiliary_and_Volunteer_Reserve_Association

Perhaps that's why your guy was appointed a Deputy [Lord] Lieutenant with specific Ceremonial responsibility for the association.