Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 2 Feb 2019 18:24

I would love to find out who was the father of my illegitimate gt grandfather and was hoping that by having my dna tested it would help me.
Unfortunately I have no idea how the results will help me. I can't check against people researching the same surnames as I have no idea of the name I am looking for. I have 105 4th cousins/distant cousins on my Ancestry dna list. I've contacted several but they're unsure how they can help

Can anyone advise me please?

Chris

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Feb 2019 08:08

If your great grandfather's birth certificate does not name a father and there is no clue on his baptism record then I'm afraid I don't think anything is going to help you find out who he was. We all have illegitimate ancestors where we can't get any further back.

I don't know how the DNA tests work myself, so someone with more knowledge might have a different answer for you, but personally I think that unless someone invents a time machine we are never going to know.

Kath. x

Flip

Flip Report 3 Feb 2019 09:00

Like Kathleen, I don't think you have much chance of finding the name - you could try to eliminate some of the matches if you can find links to others in your family tree to reduce the ones to look into.

Not sure if you are aware, but you can also download your raw DNA results and upload to My Heritage, if you click on settings when you access your results you will be given the option on the right to download the results. I've done this and have far more matches, and a number of close matches using that site.

Christine

Christine Report 3 Feb 2019 10:08

I recently found my previously unknown G.grandfather by searching newspaper reports. My G.grandmother took him to court for maintenance of the child. I hadn't realised it but it was apparently quite a common occurrence. Whilst I was at it, I found that she had had another illegitimate child and gone through the process again. A great aunt we know nothing about.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 3 Feb 2019 18:13

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I'm never going to break this particular wall down.

Chris

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Feb 2019 21:19

My O H doesn’t,t know wh their grandfather is. On ancestry dna he shows as having 4 2nd cousins,

One is known to us the other 3 are not. His mother and father came from opposite ends of the country, which helps.

One of the remaining names has a tree and the 3rd persons surname matches surnameson that tree. This has to be his grandfathers family . We haven,t contacted them as it is probable they don,t know. The story goes that the grandfather owned up but he was married with children.