Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Meeting a cousin....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Mar 2019 09:24

I was on holiday in Scotland last week.

I went to meet a cousin who lives in the area on my way home. No big deal you may think.

But this was a cousin I had never met and didn't know existed a year ago. I am adopted and we found each other by way of a DNA test. This was the first blood relative I have ever met. Our common ancestors were born in the 1850's.

We had a nice lunch and spent a couple of hours talking about family history. We have nothing in common family wise as we are too far apart on the tree.

Very worthwhile experince and I got to meet a lovely lady.

Andy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Mar 2019 09:53

How nice

It's must have been lovely to know she was a blood relation even though the connection is a bit down the tree

:-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Mar 2019 10:20

It's great that your common interest in family history brought about the meeting.

In the big scale of things, the 1850s is not that long ago.

I had lived in this area for many years before a chance conversation at a B & B I stayed at in Wales helped put me in touch with a relative in a nearby town to here.
Our mother's were cousins.
Now we often meet up for a cuppa and a chat.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 26 Mar 2019 22:41

I'm very pleased for you.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2019 11:22

I'm glad for you Andy, that must have been an exciting moment to meet a blood relative at last, and as Gwyn says 1850s is really not long ago :-D

Rose