Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with tracing a Court case please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denise

Denise Report 21 Mar 2019 16:42

Does anyone know how I can find out details of a Court case which was held in London in 1936? It involved a lady who was resident in a road in Bloomsbury, Holborn and who was initially charged with murder, but the charge was later reduced to manslaughter. This charge was made as the result of an abortion which ended in the death of the pregnant woman. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the woman or the Court at which the trial was made and I don't know the verdict.
Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Denise

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2019 17:00

Do you know the name of the accused?

EDIT:
I'm assuming that by "I don't know the name of the woman" you mean the victim.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2019 20:17

As I read it, the poster doesn’t know the woman’s name

Choccy

Choccy Report 21 Mar 2019 21:45

maybe this one -

Illustrated Police News - 13th Feb 1936

Murder charge reduced. Couple committed for trial.

Fresh charges of manslaughter and of procuring an abortion were added when Leonora Christina Reilly, 43, widow, of Orde Hall Street, Holborn, and an Indian, Jack Bimalindu Ghosal, 34, accountant, of Livonia Street, Berwick Street, W., appeared on remand on a charge of having been concerned together in the murder of Miss Ellen Ashmore, waitress, who had been living with Ghosal in a room in premises in Ormond Yard, Holborn. The prosecution alleged that she died after an illegal operation. The Magistrate (Mr. Bertrand Watson) said that as a result of consideration during the remand, he thought that the charges upon which accused should be sent for trial were those of manslaughter and procuring an abortion. They would be sent for trial on those two charges only. Accused were accordingly committed for trial at the Central Criminal Court.

Denise

Denise Report 21 Mar 2019 22:08

Thank you all for replying, but wow, special thanks to Choccy. This is almost certainly the Court case thatI was hoping to locate. The Street is the right one but I had very little more info. Thank you once again. I am delighted and amazed.
Denise