Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Villages of Devon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 13 Apr 2019 12:16

Married at ASHBURTON , Devon 30 Jan 1781 is Thomas Brishet (Brushett) to Elisabeth Lock.
It is noted that he is a Siguerner, so not of that village, He is a tailor , so presumably jobbing at that point.
He appears to have 5 children. Elizabeth bapt. at Ashburton- Sarah at Stoke Damerel - Ann at Ashburton , Thomas at Stoke Demerel,

and John Brushett bapt 1791,who then married to Mary Hawkins at Plymouth in April 1814 (another tailor).

I know that John has one child. Mary Jane Edcombe Brushett born Stoke Damerel, 1815. The second child Thomas Parker Brushett is bapt in 1820 at St James .
Westmister., ( London)

I cannot find any previous links in Devon, c 1760+/- .
Can anyone help with this location.

Thank you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Apr 2019 13:30

I don't know if this is the same family or not, but it's pre 1781:

From FamilySearch:

John Brushett
England, Devon, Parish Registers
Name John Brushett
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 1777
Event Place Devon
Spouse's Name Phillis Shipwash

And baptism of their daughter:

Elizabeth Brishatt
England Births and Christenings
Name Elizabeth Brishatt
Gender Female
Christening Date 29 Oct 1779
Christening Date (Original) 29 OCT 1779
Christening Place STOKE DAMEREL,DEVON,ENGLAND
Father's Name John Brishatt
Mother's Name Phillis

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Apr 2019 13:31

And another daughter:

Frances Collings Brishatt
England Births and Christenings
Name Frances Collings Brishatt
Gender Female
Christening Date 08 Mar 1778
Christening Date (Original) 08 MAR 1778
Christening Place STOKE DAMEREL,DEVON,ENGLAND
Father's Name John Brishatt
Mother's Name Phillis

margaret

margaret Report 13 Apr 2019 18:04

I dont think so, but I have not worked sideways.. The name seems to have several spellings, and looking for Hawkins isnt much better
The witnesses at the marriage in 1814 at St Andrew,t Plymouth ,are William Hawkins, Mary Crews and James Boulter. All of them common names for the area.

After the birth of his first child , Mary Jane Edcombe Brushet in 1815 at Stoke Demeral John Brushett and his wife Mary Hawkins seem to have gone to Maida Vale, near London.
I have not any further trace of this eldest child Mary, later, and I dont know where the Edcombe name came from.
Further , all the subsequent children are called Parker Brushett and are registered at either of the two St James Churches , one in Middlesex the other in Westminster.

I thought John might have been a military tailor - uniforms and the like. Since most of the names in the marriage register seem to be navy men.

thanks

greyghost

greyghost Report 13 Apr 2019 20:20

First thought when I saw your Mary Jane Edcombe Brushett was Mount Edgcumbe House and the Estate - owned by the Edgcumbe family. It is in Cornwall on the edge of Plymouth Sound and Stoke / Stoke Damerel in Plymouth looks across towards it.

In see from the Baptism record that her name is spelt as Edgcumbe.

I wonder if there is a connection in any way??

Devon Baptisms

First name(s) Mary Jane Edgcumbe
Last name Brushett
Birth year 1815
Birth date 19 Feb 1815
Baptism year 1815
Denomination Anglican
Baptism place Stoke Damerel
Father's first name(s) John
Father's occupation Taylor
Mother's first name(s) Mary
Residence Dock
County Devon
Archive Plymouth & West Devon Record Office

safc

safc Report 13 Apr 2019 22:35

????

Marriages Mar 1847 (>99%)
Arunddell Harriett Stroud 11 44
COX Richard Bath 11 44
Doel Jonah Bath 11 44
Fellows James Bath 11 44
MEAD Elizabeth Bath 11 44
Rumbold Jane Bath 11 44
STROUD Charlotte Bath 11 44
SULLY Mary Jane Edgecumbe Bath 11 44 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WINTERBOURN William Bath 11 44

wonder if this is her . been married before ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Apr 2019 00:59

I haven't checked this out, but 3 family trees on Ancestry have Mary Jane Edgecombe Sully. Only one of the trees is Public, and this is what they have .............

born 23 March 1817 Goucestershire

Parents John Sully (1768-1842) and Jane Edgecumbe (1777-1819)

Mary Jane married Richard Cox 19 Jan 1847, Avon, Somerset

At the same time, the owner of the one Puiblic Tree also has this as an alternate birth for Mary Jane

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name Mary Jane Sully
Gender Female
Baptism Date 28 Feb 1813
Baptism Place Somerset, England
Father John Sully
Mother Jane Sully
FHL Film Number 1470971

If these trees are accurate, then the marriage found by safc is not Mary Jane Edgecumbe Brushett

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Apr 2019 01:07

?????????????????

First name(s) MARY JANE
Last name BRUSHET
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1849
Registration month -

MarriageFinder ™

MARY JANE BRUSHET married one of these people

George White Bower, George Curtis, Thomas Naish, Charles Searley
District Wareham
District number -
County Dorset
Country England
Volume 8
Volume as transcribed 8
Page number 267
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005

Maybe/probably NOT ........

1841 Census

James Brushet Male 34 1807 Dorset, England, Ag Lab
Elizabeth Brushet Female 38 1803 Dorset, England
Mary Jane Brushet Female 10 1831 Dorset, England
Susanna Brushet Female 4 1837 Dorset, England
James Charles Brushet Male 6 1835 Dorset, England

margaret

margaret Report 14 Apr 2019 08:23

I am only looking at the Brushett connections. (but sometimes the name is given as Brishett.)

There is a Thomas Brishett married to Elizabeth Lock at Ashburton in 1781 which might be the parents of Thomas Brushett born at Stoke Demerel in 1788 and John Brushett born 1791.

The earlier Thomas is shown as 'not living in Asburton' presumably his wife - Elizabeth Lock is the inhabitant.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Apr 2019 17:40

Yes, Margaret ..................

but you asked for help.

We come across these names and we HAVE to check them out a) because we don't KNOW the family like you do, b) it just might lead to something, so we NEVER dismiss any record out of hand, and c) we're curious, that's just why we members help you and others.

We usually post the information even if it doesn't pan out ......... that's to stop other member helpers from getting sidetracked like we were.

You said in your OP that you had not found any other record for Mary Jane Edeg(e)cumbe Br*shett ....................... the name was found, so checked out.

What I found interesting was that there were apparently TWO girls with the same name born around the same time in different coutnies. Surely there has to be a connection ............. unfortunately that appears not ALTHOUGH it might be worth you investigating Gloucestershire as a possible origin for your John.

No word of thank you either for the work that has been done for you intrying to link up to your John.

margaret

margaret Report 15 Apr 2019 09:41

I am sorry if I haven't thanked participants in this thread, I find it quite difficult to follow the way the items are presented on screen, one after another in one long scroll, the latest at the bottom.
Anyway I do thank you all. I am more or less housebound so depend upon the kindness of strangers.

This is a geographical area - Devon/Cornwall/ Dorset/ that I know little about. and Stoke Demerol seems ( to around this time - 1825,) have had over 17 chapels , who met in private accommodation and were therefore not required to log or register the baptisms of the members. And many being lost as well.

Thomas Brishett who married at Ashburton, was not of that place, so I guess could have been from anywhere in the region .
Although I think his wife, Elizabeth Lock- another common name, was from there at that time.
The movement of John Brushett after the birth of his first child in Stoke Demerol in 1815, to Maida Vale, near London, where his second child was born in 1820, it seems a long way by road, but may be not by coastal ferry ,

Not all the records are on line it seems, so it maybe that it needs a more local historical search.

Thank you for your interest.