Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RFC WW1?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Apr 2019 21:47

My great grandmother was born in February 1919 and on her birth certificate her father is given as mechanic RFC. Am I correct in assuming this is likely what he did in WW1 as I know the RFC was the predecessor to the RAF.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Apr 2019 22:03

Never assume. Always check

By Feb 1919, the War was over, and the RAF had been in existence for 10 months

Have you looked for service records for the man?

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Apr 2019 22:06

I haven’t looked for his service record. I only have access to genes Reunited at the moment. I’ll see what I can find.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Apr 2019 22:37

You might find something in the Military Records section, assuming you have the relevant subscription. Findmypast do hold them & we know GR uses theirs.

I’d, rather surprisingly, found my grandfathers on there. It also gave the regiment he transferred from & that service number. Although his army records don’t exist, his medal card has survived.

If you don’t have a full GR sub, post his details so that others can have a look.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Apr 2019 23:46

Erika ...........

the war might have been over in November 1918, but a huge number of men were still serving, with many of them not being released back to civilian life until much later in 1919.

So what they put on any document would be their service information

My grandfather was shipped back to the UK from Basra in January 1919, and I have a letter he wrote to ask for early release plus one from his previous employer stating grandfather would be welcomed back, dated January 24 1919.

If I remember correctly, his release came in early February ...... but his regiment (MGC) was still in what was then called Mesopotamia for several months after that

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Apr 2019 07:54

My great great grandfather was Albert Edward Cadwell. Albert was born in Luton, Bedfordshire in 1893. His parents were Albert Edward senior (1866-1937) who was born in Luton and Emma Summerfield (1864) who was born in Stopsley, Bedfordshire. In 1917 Albert junior married Mary Ellen Brownsell 1893-1971 (sometimes spelt Brounsel). Albert and Mary Ellen married in Luton.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Apr 2019 10:31

This looks like him:-

First name(s) Albert Edward
Last name Cadwell
Birth year 1893
Birth date 23 Feb 1893
Birth town Luton
Birth county Bedfordshire
Occupation Fitter
Attestation year 1918
Attestation date 12 Jul 1918
Attestation age 25
Service number 268044
Marriage year 1917
Marriage date 03 Mar 1917
Spouse's first name(s) Mary Ellen
Child's first name(s) Winifred Yvonne
Child's birth date 07 Feb 1919
Archive reference AIR 79/2364
Next of kin first name(s) Mary Ellen,Winifred Yvonne
Next of kin last name Cadwell
Record set British Royal Air Force, Airmen's Service Records 1912-1939
Category Military, armed forces & conflict

The image gives his marriage date as 3rd March 1917. His wife's address as 14 Matthew Street, Dunstable, Beds.

His description:- Height 5ft. 9 inches.
Chest:- 37 inches
Hair:- Brown
Eyes:- Brown
Complexion:- Pale

Civilian Occupation:- Fitter

He spent time in Malta from 30th August 1918 to 2nd May 1919.

Perhaps he just used RFC rather than RAF as that was what he was used to the RAF being referred to? Just a slip of the tongue I would think.

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Apr 2019 11:36

Hopefully have just sent his Service records to you. He was lucky to survive having been listed as Seriously and then Dangerously ill with Influenza whilst in Malta!

Awarded British medal.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Apr 2019 12:25

That's good Greyghost. Too many senior moments lately - I couldn't remember how to save and then send the images and as I use my son's computer that he uses for business, I'm always afraid I will mess up his files.

At least Tawny will now have the images.

Kath. x

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Apr 2019 13:02

Thank you both.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Apr 2019 14:13

Yes Sylvia, I'm fully aware of the fact that men were still in the forces, having had several of my own family in that situation, but my point was that one would have expected him to refer to the RAF rather than the RFC, although he probably just put RFC out of habit.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Apr 2019 17:25

However, Erica, you did say "never assume" ....... and in this case the assumption WAS correct.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Apr 2019 17:32

As a matter of interest, re the influenza ...........

my grandfather was in the Field Hospital in Ramadia in October 1918 with influenza, being released back to his company a week later .......

we hear lots about how many civilians died during the influenza epidemic of 1918 and 1919, but I've never heard much about how many soldiers were affected.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Apr 2019 17:42

Of course, another explanation for his occupation being shown as "RFC" on the birth certificate is that he might not have been the one to give the information ...............

he may well not even have been present when the baby was born.

In that case, his wife would have stated husband's occupation, and she may not have realised that RFC had changed to RAF so recently, especially in the excitement and tiredness after just giving birth.