Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Information on a Scottish Death certificate.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 27 May 2019 15:31

This maybe a silly question but it has just popped into my head, so here goes.

Does anyone know who would give the deceased person's parents names on their death certificate if no family member was available to do so.( I am just assuming there were no family members available ).

I have an ancestor who died , looks like a male model lodging house in Bridgeton, Glasgow in 1948, The informant was an Inquiry Constable from Glasgow Police.

thank you
jean

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 May 2019 15:46

Do you mean that the deceased person's parents' details were given, and you're wondering how the policeman would know those details?

Virtually anyone who knows the required information (or at least to the best of their knowledge) can register a death in Scotland nowadays, and as far as I know it would have been the same in 1948:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/registering-a-death

https://www.mygov.scot/register-death/

In the case you mention, perhaps the deceased person had ID giving that info, or perhaps he was already known to the police ??
Or perhaps a family member was able to give the info, but was happy to leave the actual registration of death to the police.

Jean

Jean Report 27 May 2019 15:57

Thank you ArgyllGran,

That actually makes a lot of sense ,
Don't know why I couldn't have thought of that.