Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Bright family from Whirlow Hall, Sheffield.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 22 Jun 2019 01:59

I'm currently researching my family history and I've arrived at Martha Bright (1713-1781) who married Godfrey Broomhead (1707-1774). Martha and Godfrey married in Sheffield 23-10-1742.

Godfrey would appear to be my 6th Gt grandfather making Martha my 6th Gt grandmother.
Godfrey traces back to my Father (Robert Rowland 1924-2012) but I'm confused about Martha.
Was she related to the family that owned Whirlow Hall? Are the original owners of Whirlow Hall really my ancestors.
Help please......I'm confused with the so many names I've come across so far.

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jun 2019 09:38

What do you know about the Bright family of Whirlow hall? It's doubtful that anyone here will just "know" whether Martha a is related unless they've done the research on that family already

I see the family were there back in the 14thC " Whirlow Hall Farm stands on the site of the old Whirlow Hall, the seat of the Brights, an ancient Whirlow family who lived in the area as early as the 14th cent" Have you tried Googling to see if anyone has done an accurate tree back that far?

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jun 2019 09:41

Have you been able to find out who Martha's parents were?

Lots of info if you google eg

https://johnblythedobson.org/genealogy/ff/Bright.cfm

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jun 2019 10:26

Two possible baptisms? age on marriage is given as 25 so could be either

First name(s) Martha
Last name Bright
Birth year -
Baptism year 1713
Baptism date 14 Jun 1713
Baptism place Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul
Dedication St Peter & St Paul
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) Wm

irst name(s) Martha
Last name Bright
Birth year -
Baptism year 1715
Baptism date 06 Jan 1715
Baptism place Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul
Dedication St Peter & St Paul
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) Samll
Father's last name -
Mother's first name(s) -
County Yorkshire (West Riding)

Carol

Carol Report 24 Jun 2019 04:03

Thank you for your in-put Rambling. It's very much appreciated.

I've read up on the Bright family connected to Whirlow hall since my new found interest that they might feature in my ancestry.

We actually live in South Yorkshire so are aware of the current day Whirlow Hall.

Martha's parents were William Bright and Mary Offerton which seems to fit. I have seen the other Martha but those details don't marry up with my family.

The Martha Bright that I'm interested in married Godfrey Broomhead (lots of different spellings there) in 1742. From that point I can track my chart right back to my own Father who was born in 1924.

Godfrey was my 6th Gt grandfather which made Martha Bright my 6th Gt grandmother. I'm fairly confident that Godfrey and Martha do fit within my tree especially as they named two of their children Godfrey and Martha. That's a bit of a give away.

Any notability came from Martha's side of the family anyhow. She married into my family but by that time the whole family fortune had been blown! lol

All I'm looking for is that I've got things right and married the right people off etc. I'm not the best of ancestry researchers but I'm not doing bad. ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jun 2019 10:30

It's more difficult to come at it from that direction, we'd really need to work back from your father and have all the records that you have checked. I've looked at the marriage on FMP, bishops transcript etc, but the father is not mentioned on there so hard to be sure if Martha is connected to the Bright family at the hall or whether there might be other Bright families in the area?

Just a word of caution, if you haven't proved the record yourself, don't rely on what others say is correct, eg Ancestry trees or 'submitted' info on FamilySearch, a lot are wrong. Good luck!

Carol

Carol Report 24 Jun 2019 23:57

Thank you for this Rambling. I did start with my Father and worked back from there. I absolutely understand what you mean about relying on information via Ancestry etc. Over time though I've found that the same names researching the same family member as me keep popping up though and mostly they have the same information that I have.
I've also relied on Christian names being passed down through the generations which was a common thing to do back in those days.

I had a lot of information regarding the Rowland side of my family (my Father), and so far have managed to track back to the plague of Eyam in 1665/66 where either my direct ancestors, or siblings perished. I've come to a dead end there though.

I began writing all this information onto a huge chart which led me to branching off to the female side of the tree and currently this is what I'm researching just now.

So far this is how it looks.

Robert Rowland (father), 1924 - 2012.

Grandfather was Robert Arthur Rowland 1897-1962. M Doris Bradshaw 1895 - 1970.

Gt Grandfather was Robert Rowland 1877 - 1941. M Kate Rollinson 1875-1962.

2nd Gt Grandfather Robert Rowland 1838-1912. M Hannah Goddard 1840-1913.

This goes back some way on my paternal grandfathers side but then I branched off to follow my Grandmothers side......Hannah Goddard. 1840-1913.
Her parents were James Goddard 1812-1884 and Ann Broomhead 1815-1881.

Ann Broomheads parents were Joseph Broomhead 1789-1845, and

Carol

Carol Report 25 Jun 2019 00:11

Sorry.....pressed send by mistake!!!

Ann Broomheads Mother was Grace Wild. 1791-1842. Joseph and Grace were my 4th gt grandparents.

Josephs parents were Joseph Broomhead. 1744 - and Hannah Shepherd 1746-
They were my 5th gt grandparents.

Josephs parents were Godfry (Godfrey?) Broomhead 1707-1774 and Martha Bright 1713-1781.
So far I have Martha's parents as William Bright 1676- and Mary Offerton 1684-1749.

Finally I have Williams parents as being Joseph Bright 1644- and Maria Beresford 1655- .

I'm not at all sure that I'm on the right path here and you are probably right in suspecting there were a few families named Bright around the area at that time as well.

I'm finding it all very interesting anyhow and I wonder if I've got enough years left to fill in the massive chart that I recently bought! ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jun 2019 00:55

Carol posted .............

Carol Report 24 Jun 2019 23:57
I've also relied on Christian names being passed down through the generations which was a common thing to do back in those days.

- - - - - - - - -

WARNING .....................

I have been doing OH's tree for years. There is one branch that I have got back to 1725, and which several of us think might well be traced back to the 15th century in the Forest of Bowland area ................ but that link is missing,

However, there are two lines of families with the same surname who live in the same area of that part where Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumberland and Westmorland meet.

Both lines use the same forenames for the males with 2 in particular being favoured, and most of the men like to marry women called Elizabeth. Both sides were most often farmers and corn millers ......... and often "switched" mills and farms, so that one would be found in Yorkshire and the other in Lancashire, but then have changed places next time you find them.

In addition, they will often get married in opposite counties ............ so one from eg Sedbergh will marry in Whittington, while one from Whittington will marry in Sedbergh or Slaidburn

The two lines HAVE to be connected back sometime before 1725, although no-one has yet found that link.

But assuming that the one in Yorkshire is always OH's line has proved be a very wrong assumption!

I am now very certain of what I have on his tree, but it took a long time to sort out, and I had to learn not to always believe the naming pattern with this particular family!

Or rather to understand that cousins could follow the same naming pattern.

Similarly, my father's line has several generations of families with a large number of children each of which often used the same names for their children and so it went down the line from 1740 to the early 1900s.

Even my father's forename was a "passed down" common one right from 1740.

Carol

Carol Report 26 Jun 2019 00:07

Thank you Sylvia. It can get so confusing can't it? Without paying for certs etc (which might not even be correct information for the person being researched!), we have to rely on a lot of detective work which does seem to involve Christian names being passed through the family.

What I've also found useful are the ancestry hints where people researching the same family member as I am, keep popping up. I think that indicates I'm on the right track. Also dates play an important part. I deleted one ancestor because the dates didn't work and it would have meant that she married and had her first child at the age of 13. I didn't think that plausible but I then came across another possible birth date being 5 years earlier which would fit.
The jury is still out on this one though.

I initially planned on only tracking my Dads side of the family on the male side. I've got right back to the late 1600's with confidence there but then it's impossible not to look at the Grandmothers side as well and then siblings and children etc and before I knew it the whole tree grew rapidly.
:-)