Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom file

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 6 Aug 2019 08:01

Hi
Could someone please confirm how I download a gedcom file. I am not very technical and I am worried I might lose all the information on my tree whilst doing so. I also would like to transfer part of my tree to a new tree is that possible?
Thank you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Aug 2019 08:18

To export a GEDCOM file from GR to somewhere else:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=449

To import a GEDCOM file to GR from somewhere else:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=448

Whether or not you lose any information will depend on where you are exporting/importing the file from/to.
You won't lose ALL the info, but there may be some differences in presentation, and sometimes notes or images don't transfer.

However, you will still have the original tree to compare, and to correct from if necessary.

EXPORTING does not delete your original tree.
IMPORTING will overwrite anything already on the tree you're putting it into.

I'm not sure if you can transfer part of your tree to a new tree (without re-entering all the people one by one).
Ask: [email protected]
They'll reply in about 3 working days.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 7 Aug 2019 13:06

Exporting a file does not affect your GR data.
.ged files are text only files.
A .ged exported from GR will (mine do!) include any notes that you have entered against an individual.
But the export will not contain any .pdf, .jpg, .tif, etc. attachments.