Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For ref only, Reserved Occupations WW2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Sep 2019 11:10

http://anguline.co.uk/Free/Reserved.pdf

Provisional list with ages. Interesting to know :-)

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 16 Sep 2019 11:16

Very interesting.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Sep 2019 11:43

My father was in reserved occupation
He worked all his working life at the Woolwich Arsenal

He tried to join all three services but got rejected every time

Mum took a Red Cross first aid course and was a bomb watcher
Our house was an ARP post and the asbestos plaque was on the front of the house for many years after the war till dad eventually took it down

Flip

Flip Report 16 Sep 2019 23:37

It is very interesting, explains why my dad who was a foreman in the shipyard got rejected every time he tried to join up, as did his father in law who was a boilermaker in the same shipyard. Both became ARP wardens.

More interesting to me was the fact my grandmother who worked as a lathe operator in the gun shops in WW1 went back to work in the gun shop in WW2 turning out even more gun casings! And then when war over, got chucked out yet again :-P

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Sep 2019 23:54

Very extensive list. I'm just adding to this thread so that I can easily find it again in my threads if needed.

Kath. x

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 18 Sep 2019 07:26

I'm doing the same Kathleen.

My retired grandparents had a small farm and my father worked it. He was in the Home Guard.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Sep 2019 10:28

Rose, it would be worth putting on JoyDean's Useful Sites thread.

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Sep 2019 12:25

Will do Kense :-)

Kense

Kense Report 18 Sep 2019 17:03

Thank you Rose.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Sep 2019 22:04

That's a very long list. It's surprising there was anyone left to join the forces!

My mother's first husband was a consulting electrical engineer, and therefore in a reserved occupation.
Sadly and ironically, he became ill and died anyway, in 1943.

On the other hand, if he hadn't, my mother wouldn't later have married my father, and I wouldn't have been born.