Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

step children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

tokan

tokan Report 21 Oct 2019 00:00

hi all, during a search for a relation , i found the husband and wife with 2 young children then found 2 other females listed as step daughters. their occupation is listed as servants. the two woman are of a similar age group to the head of household and both have 2 different names. one surname could be a variant of the maiden name of the wife. could they be relations that were made wards ? or is there another reason that i am missing? hope this isnt too complicated :-D

any suggestions gratefully accepted. TIA

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Oct 2019 01:21

We could probably help more easily if we could see the record .................

could you post the names and then let us see what we can find.

My immediate thought is that they are listed as step children of the Head of the house, ie the man, and that therefore they must be children of the wife, But that sounds strange if they are similar age to the husband. I doubt they would be shown as step children if they were wards, though one never knows!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Oct 2019 08:54

Have you checked the image? Is it possible that there is a transcription error?

As Sylvia says, we need to see what you're seeing before we can offer any opinions. It would be foolhardy to try to guess