Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Index information for certificate request

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 30 Oct 2019 16:36

I haven't requested a death certificate for a while from the GRO. Went to place an order today and they want the usual information such as year, district name, volume number, page number. However, there was another mandatory one :-

Reg (month and year of registration mm/yy)

I'm unsure how to complete this. Is it to do with the event quarter? Advice would be welcoming.

Thank you
Cheryl

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2019 17:06

Have you put in the year of the death? The example you give looks to be in relation to a more recent death.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Oct 2019 17:12

If the death was in the last 50 years, I rather think that more info is needed than for earlier events

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 30 Oct 2019 17:14

Thanks for responding. Yes, I've already put in the year of death. 1985 in this case. Where would you find the date of registration?

Thanks
Cheryl

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2019 17:24

I think for anything in the last 50 years they only send out certificates if you already know most of the information on the certificate such as date of death, month etc.- something to do with preventing identity theft.

Kath. x

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 30 Oct 2019 19:41

Thanks Kath and I agree wholeheartedly.

greyghost

greyghost Report 30 Oct 2019 22:50

Just had a play with GRO site - presume you are going for someone over 16 years of age and are referring to the section headed Reference Information from GRO index.

Where it asks for mm/yy - Using a random 1985 death, I just put on 00/85 and then completed the next bits as per usual.

The site allowed me to submit and the next page showed me my order form.

Pushed the Checkout button and my order was there waiting for me to cancel or pay, so maybe that will work? (Didn't pay for a cert. I didn't want i'm afraid to test further)

Otherwise contact GRO and ask - contact details in list at top right hand of GRO site Home Page

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Nov 2019 04:54

Try
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list?fcs=region%3AUNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND&ec=region%3AUNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

and select "England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007", viz:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2285341

A search should get a hit like:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZM-XPP7
John Smith
England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007
Name: John Smith
Event Type: Death Registration
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year: 1985
Registration District: Wigan
County: Lancashire
Event Place: Wigan, Lancashire, England
Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969): 12 Mar 1924
Volume: 39
Page: 2422

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Nov 2019 08:45

Some of the death records on ancestry seem to imply which month the deaths was by the qtr info

My mum

Name: Grace ***********
Death Age: 70
Birth Date: 14 Nov 1909
Registration Date: Apr 1980
[May 1980]
[Jun 1980]
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration district: Greenwich
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 12
Page: 1009