Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hobby family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hobby

Hobby Report 16 Feb 2020 17:59

I am searching for any info on the Hobby family. They were originally from the villages of Ham and Hill in Gloucestershire. Many thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Feb 2020 18:58

When were they in Glos?

What have you done yourself to try to find info?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Feb 2020 19:59

A duplicate thread was posted on General Chat.

I have suggested that John delete the one on General, and concentrate on thsi one

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Feb 2020 20:05

It's a very vague request, John.

What do you know already? There's no point in our searching for records you already have.

From a quick look at Ancestry, there seem to have been Hobbys in Ham from at least the 18th century (17th century on FS) right up until at least 1911, and presumably later - a huge timespan to cover.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Feb 2020 09:14

Look in 'search all member trees' for the name, then try to contact tree owners to exchange info. There are a number of members with entries

Put your tree on here, so that anyone interested can try to contact you

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2020 17:33

John is having problems finding his way back to the threads.

I'm trying to help him via pm!

Hobby

Hobby Report 19 Feb 2020 08:42

Firstly let me say a big "thank you" to SylviainCanada for putting instructions on here so plainly that even I have understood them, Brilliant.
So far I have been in-putting info onto my family tree that my Father had collected over the years. Reams and reams of paper notes that took an age to sort through. I have managed to get back to Richard Hobby 1662-1711 married to Jane Wade 1662-1707.

Can anybody tell me if there is a quick way to scroll up or down when on your family tree, very frustrating on "single click". Cheers

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Feb 2020 09:02

No, there isn't, on GR.

You can scroll up and down on "List" view - but that's only an alphabetical list, not a tree.

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Feb 2020 12:18

Try opening your tree and clicking on the "Show full tree" option. You get a tree picture in a green rectangle at the bottom of the page with a purple highlighted rectangle in it. You can then move the rectangle across and up/down within the larger tree rectangle.
The programme will keep you going in a straight line.

If you reduce the size of the page content using the + and - signs in view bottom left of the page, then you'll move through the named tree people more quickly.

Worth a try, but can be a bit hit and miss - you can get a screen full of white space or white space with a few vertical lines running through.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Feb 2020 14:51

Oh yes, you can also "grab" the Full Tree screen and slide it around, which I find easier to guide than the little rectangle which GG mentions.

Not scrolling, but better than one click at a time.

(The little rectangle is green on my computer, not purple.)