Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Viewing chart by others

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 9 Apr 2020 11:26

I am new on here and have created much of my chart. Is it possible to allow others (relatives) to look at my chart?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Apr 2020 12:10

By "chart" I assume you mean "tree"?

To share your tree -

First your relative (or anyone) has to have at least one name on his/her GR tree - even if only their own as a starting point.

Then you have to look for that name in "Search all Member Trees" under "Search" at the top of the page.

Click on "Find out more" beside your relative's name as tree owner.

Just below the resulting Message box you'll see "Allow this member to view my family tree".
Click on the little box beside that.

You'll have to go through this process for each person you want to share your tree with.
Once you've allowed them to view your tree, they can see it by clicking on "View other trees" below their own name at the top of their tree page on GR, then "Trees shared with me".

If your relatives are not registered with GR, either

(a) persuade them to register, which they can do free of charge - no need to pay a sub unless they want to ,

or (b) you can download your tree as a Gedcom file, and email the file to them. They would have to have a family tree programme (there are lots, including free ones) on their computer, and they can then upload your Gedcom file to their programme.
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=425&searchterm=gedcom

They should be aware that on some sites/programmes (including GR) an uploaded Gedcom will over-write an existing tree, which may then be lost for ever - certainly that's so on GR.

John

John Report 11 Apr 2020 01:04

Thanks for getting back - sounds like what I thought - good though :-)